Green’s function of Dirac operator

Pouramat
Homework Statement
My question comes from the textbook by Peskin & Schroeder,

If $$S_F(x-y)$$ is Green’s function of Dirac operator, how we should verify
$$ (i {\partial}_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu} -m)S_F (x-y)= i \delta^{(4)} (x-y) . $$
!!Didn’t know how to write slashed partial!!
all of $$\partial _x$$ in my solution are slashed but I did not know how to write it.
Relevant Equations
Using $$S_F(x-y)$$ definition:
\begin{align}
S_F(x-y) &= < 0|T \psi (x) \bar\psi (y) |0> \\
& = \theta(x^0-y^0) <0|\psi (x) \bar\psi (y) |0>- \theta(y^0-x^0) <0|\bar\psi (y) \psi (x) |0>
\end{align}
I started from eq(3.113) and (3.114) of Peskin and merge them with upper relation for $S_F$, as following:
\begin{align}
S_F(x-y) &=
\theta(x^0-y^0)(i \partial_x +m) D(x-y) -\theta(y^0-x^0)(i \partial_x -m) D(y-x) \\
&= \theta(x^0-y^0)(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0 > -\theta(y^0-x^0)(i \partial_x -m) < 0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >
\end{align}
Now we can calculate Green's Function of Dirac operator using this form of $S_F$
\begin{align}
(i \partial_x -m) S_F =& [(i \partial_x -m) \theta(x^0-y^0)][(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0 >]\\
&+\theta(x^0-y^0)[(\partial^2-m^2) <0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0>] \\
&-[(i \partial_x -m) \theta(y^0-x^0)][(i \partial_x-m) <0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >] \\
&- \theta(y^0-x^0)[(i \partial_x -m)(i \partial_x -m)< 0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >]
\end{align}

All of the terms are fine except the last line.The 1st and 3rd terms simplify as following The 2nd term is zero using klein-Gordon equation
The 1st term :
\begin{equation}
[(i \partial_x -m) \theta(x^0-y^0)][(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0 >] = [-\partial_0 \theta(x^0-y^0)][<0| \pi(x) \phi(y)|0>]
\end{equation}
The 3nd term:
\begin{equation}
[(i \partial_x -m) \theta(y^0-x^0)][(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >] = [-\partial_0 \theta(y^0-x^0)][< 0| \phi(x) \pi(y)|0 >]
\end{equation}
if the 4th term like the 2nd term was Klein-Gordon equation the problem gets solved, but it isn't.

Last edited:

Related to Green’s function of Dirac operator

What is the Green's function of the Dirac operator?

The Green's function of the Dirac operator is a fundamental solution to the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic spin-1/2 particles such as electrons. It essentially provides a way to solve the Dirac equation for a given source term, acting as an inverse to the Dirac operator in the context of distribution theory.

How is the Green's function for the Dirac operator constructed?

The construction of the Green's function for the Dirac operator typically involves finding a distribution that satisfies the equation D G(x, x') = δ(x - x'), where D is the Dirac operator, G(x, x') is the Green's function, and δ(x - x') is the Dirac delta function. This often requires techniques from Fourier analysis and complex function theory.

What are the applications of the Green's function of the Dirac operator?

The Green's function of the Dirac operator has several important applications, including in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of fermions, in condensed matter physics to study electronic properties of materials, and in mathematical physics to solve boundary value problems associated with the Dirac equation.

What are the different types of Green's functions for the Dirac operator?

There are several types of Green's functions for the Dirac operator, including the retarded Green's function, advanced Green's function, Feynman propagator, and Euclidean Green's function. Each type corresponds to different boundary conditions and physical interpretations, such as causality and time-ordering in quantum field theory.

How does the Green's function of the Dirac operator relate to propagators in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the Green's function of the Dirac operator is closely related to the concept of propagators, which describe the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another. The Feynman propagator, in particular, is a Green's function that incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, and it is used extensively in calculations involving Feynman diagrams.