Green's Functions & Density of States

In summary, the notes say that the imaginary part of the denominator in the Greens Function is pi times the delta function. The result is that the density of states follows from this.
Master J
After a fruitless search for a good undergraduate resource for Green's Functions (Economou's book is far too advanced for an intro course) , I hope someone here can clear this up.

So I have the Greens Functions (gf) for the time independent Schrodinger equation:

SUM |a><a| / (E - e(k)) where |a> form an orthonormal basis, e(k) is the particle energy. First off, for a free particle, E and e(k) are the same thing are they not? h^2.k^2/2m , so is the denominator not just zero, or is there a subtle meaning here?

Now, the more interesting part. Ok, so I have found some notes, but unfortunately they don't explain what is going on:

It takes the adove gf and adds an imaginary part to the denominator, and takes the limit that this imaginary parts goes to zero...then we get:

P ( 1 / E - e(k) ) + i(pi) DELTA( E - e(k))

where delta is the Dirac Delta function. What is this P? And how is this so? Is it just a mathematical relation??

And finally, I see that the density of states follows from this, but how is it motivated?? The result is just stated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Master J said:
First off, for a free particle, E and e(k) are the same thing are they not? h^2.k^2/2m , so is the denominator not just zero, or is there a subtle meaning here?

No, e(k)=h^2.k^2/2m, but E is a variable which may take on any value, positive or negative (or even complex).
Think of a classical harmonic oscillator. There e(k) would correspond to the eigenfrequency of the oscillator omega_0 while E would correspond to an external driving perturbation which may oscillate with any frequency omega. The case E=e(k) would mean that the external perturbation is in resonance with some eigenfrequency of the system.

Thanks DrDu, I see that now. I see its similar to the way the gf reflects dispersion in the driven wave equation.

Any help with the next part? I don't know where or how the imaginary part is derived

[tex]\frac{1}{x+i\eta} = \frac{x}{x^{2}+\eta^{2}} - i\frac{\eta}{x^{2}+\eta^{2}}[/tex]

Can you convince yourself that [tex]\frac{\eta}{x^{2}+\eta^{2}}[/tex] is pi times the delta function?

Sorry, no, I can't see that at all...:confused:

Try thinking about the limit as [tex] \eta \rightarrow 0 [/tex]. In particular, check what happens for [tex] x = 0 [/tex] versus [tex] x \neq 0 [/tex]. Also, try computing the integral of [tex] \frac{\eta}{x^2+\eta^2} [/tex] over all x.

Related to Green's Functions & Density of States

1. What are Green's functions and how are they used in physics?

Green's functions are mathematical tools used to solve differential equations in physics. They are particularly useful for studying systems that have boundary conditions or are inhomogeneous. In physics, they are used to calculate the response of a system to a given external force or perturbation.

2. How are Green's functions related to the density of states?

Green's functions and the density of states are closely related in quantum mechanics. The density of states is a measure of the number of available energy states at a particular energy level. Green's functions can be used to calculate the density of states in a given system by relating the energy states to the response of the system to an external perturbation.

3. What is the significance of the imaginary part of Green's functions?

The imaginary part of Green's functions is related to the lifetime of a given energy state. It represents the rate at which a state will decay or relax back to its original state after being perturbed. This is important in understanding the dynamics of a system and can be used to calculate the scattering rates of particles in a material.

4. Can Green's functions be used to study non-equilibrium systems?

Yes, Green's functions can be used to study non-equilibrium systems. They can be used to calculate the response of a system to a time-dependent perturbation, allowing for the study of systems that are not in thermal equilibrium. This is particularly useful in fields such as quantum transport and nonequilibrium statistical mechanics.

5. How are Green's functions and the density of states used in condensed matter physics?

In condensed matter physics, Green's functions and the density of states are used to study the electronic properties of materials. They can be used to calculate the electronic structure of a material and understand its behavior under different conditions. This is important in the development of new materials for technological applications.