Green's Theorem and annulus at 0,0

In summary, the homework statement is to evaluate this line integral. Green's theorem is used to evaluate the area between the curve and the x-axis. The top and bottom integrals are both 0 due to the annulus being centred about 0.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate this line integral

Homework Equations

[itex]\int xe^{-2x}dx+(x^4+2x^2y^2)dy[/itex] for the annulus [itex]1 \le x^2+y^2 \le 4[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \displaystyle \int_c f(x,y) dx + g(x,y)dy+ \int_s f(x,y) dx + g(x,y)dy = \int \int _D1 (G_x-G_y) dA=0 \implies \int_c=- \int_s= \int_{-s}[/itex]

Let c be the out circle of radius 2 counterclockwise and s the inner radius of 1 clockwise

x=r cos [itex]\theta[/itex], y=r sin [itex]\theta[/itex] substituting

evaluating the last term on RHS, ie

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{-s}= \int_0^{2 \pi} r cos \theta (e^{-2r cos \theta})(-r sin \theta d \theta) +(r^4 cos^4 \theta +2r^2 cos^2 \theta r^2 sin^2 \theta) r cos \theta d \theta[/itex]

Is this right so far? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If the problem is, as you say, to use Green's theorem, why are you not using Green's theorem?

HallsofIvy said:
If the problem is, as you say, to use Green's theorem, why are you not using Green's theorem?

I guess because I was following my notes blindly which I think was just demonstrating a principle.

For the annulus then do I use green's to calculate the inner circle and subtract it from the outer circle?

Thanks

Correction,

I think I will split the annulus into a top and bottom and write

[itex] \displaystyle \int \int_R (g_x-f_y) dA = \int \int_T (g_x-f_y )dA + \int \int_B (g_x-f_y) d A[/itex]...right?

bugatti79 said:
Correction,

I think I will split the annulus into a top and bottom and write

[itex] \displaystyle \int \int_R (g_x-f_y) dA = \int \int_T (g_x-f_y )dA + \int \int_B (g_x-f_y) d A[/itex]...right?

I calculate that the top and bottom integrals are both 0...? I thought they should be non 0 since the annulus is centred about 0?

No, just integrate on the annulus itself. Using polar coordinates as you suggested before, take [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and r from 1 to 2.

Now, what is [itex]g_x- f_y[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
No, just integrate on the annulus itself. Using polar coordinates as you suggested before, take [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and r from 1 to 2.

Now, what is [itex]g_x- f_y[/itex]?

It is [itex] g_x-f_y =(4x^3 + 4xy^2)-(0)[/itex]

If we are using green's to evaluate the above integral which does not include the origin then we expect to get a non 0 answer right? But I keep getting 0 for the above integral...

bugatti79 said:
It is [itex] g_x-f_y =(4x^3 + 4xy^2)-(0)[/itex]

If we are using green's to evaluate the above integral which does not include the origin then we expect to get a non 0 answer right? But I keep getting 0 for the above integral...

Any suggestions on this one?

Then you are doing the integral wrong!
The integral is
[tex]4\int_0^1 4r^4dr\int_0^{2\pi}(cos^3(\theta)+ sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta))d\theta[/tex]
(the fourth power of r is due to the differential of area in polar coordinates being "[itex]rdrd\theta[/itex]", but it is the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral that is important.)

The [itex]\theta[/itex] integral can be written
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} cos(\theta)(1- sin^2(\theta))d\theta+ \int_0^{2\pi} sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

Let [itex]u= sin(x)[/itex] in the first integral and let [itex]v= cos(\theta)[/itex] in the second equation.

HallsofIvy said:
Then you are doing the integral wrong!
The integral is
[tex]4\int_0^1 4r^4dr\int_0^{2\pi}(cos^3(\theta)+ sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta))d\theta[/tex]
(the fourth power of r is due to the differential of area in polar coordinates being "[itex]rdrd\theta[/itex]", but it is the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral that is important.)

The [itex]\theta[/itex] integral can be written
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} cos(\theta)(1- sin^2(\theta))d\theta+ \int_0^{2\pi} sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

Let [itex]u= sin(x)[/itex] in the first integral and let [itex]v= cos(\theta)[/itex] in the second equation.

I calculate [itex] \displaystyle \int \int (g_x -f_y) dA = \int \int (4x^3+4xy^2) dA = \int_1^2 \int_0^{2 \pi}(4r^4 cos^3 \theta +4r^4 cos \theta sin^2 \theta) d \theta dr[/itex]...

I am just wondering how you arrived at yours especially the limits...? Have you got the sin theta cos^2 theta switched? should it be cos theta sin^2 theta

bugatti79 said:
I calculate [itex] \displaystyle \int \int (g_x -f_y) dA = \int \int (4x^3+4xy^2) dA = \int_1^2 \int_0^{2 \pi}(4r^4 cos^3 \theta +4r^4 cos \theta sin^2 \theta) d \theta dr[/itex]...

I am just wondering how you arrived at yours especially the limits...? Have you got the sin theta cos^2 theta switched? should it be cos theta sin^2 theta

Any comments on this one folks...?

FAQ: Green's Theorem and annulus at 0,0

What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical concept that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the partial derivatives of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

How is Green's Theorem applied in real-world situations?

Green's Theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work and flux in 2-dimensional systems, as well as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

What is an annulus at 0,0?

An annulus at 0,0 is a mathematical term for a circular region with a hole in the center, centered at the origin (0,0) on a coordinate plane.

How is Green's Theorem used to calculate the area of an annulus at 0,0?

By using Green's Theorem, the area of an annulus at 0,0 can be calculated by setting up a double integral of the partial derivatives of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

What are some important applications of Green's Theorem for scientists?

Green's Theorem is essential for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields involving 2-dimensional systems. It also serves as an important tool for understanding the fundamental concepts of vector calculus and its applications in real-world scenarios.