Green's Theorem for Evaluating Line Integrals on Curves

In summary, The original question asks to evaluate the line integral over the curve y = 1 - x2 from (1,0) to (0,1). Using Green's theorem is not applicable since the curve is not closed. Instead, the integral can be evaluated by parametrizing the curve as r(t) = ti + (-t2 + 1)j and calculating the line integral of xyi - xj over this curve. After simplifying, the result is -11/12. The incorrect use of Green's theorem also yields the same result, but this is due to the contribution of the additional curves used to complete the loop being zero.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Evaluate the [tex]\int[/tex] xyi - xj dot dr over the curve y = 1 - x2 from 1,0 to 0,1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used greens theorem

[tex]\int[/tex] -1 - x dy dx

dy is from 0 to 1-x2

dx is from 0 to 1

[tex]\int[/tex]-x3 + x2 - x - 1 dx = -1.4166666666666666666

is this correct

Physics news on Phys.org

How can you use Green's theorem? The curve isn't closed. Just do the line integral.

Well, I suppose he could use Green's theorem by completing the loop through the axes and subtracting their contribution which seems to be zero.

Are you sure the sign of the x3 term is correct though?

"just do the line integral"

[tex]\int[/tex]gradf dot dr = [tex]\int[/tex] xyi - xj dot dr

Is this correct to say...I can say that xyi -xj is grad f as long as i can find the f, and then i would plug the two points into f to get the answer

No, this only applies to conservative vector fields, that is fields whose curl is 0. The vector field you have (xyi -xj) is not conservative and therefore the function you describe doesn't exist. Try finding it and you will get contradicting terms from different derivatives. You can't just plug the end points in because the integral depends on which path you take between those points.

But you were going in the right direction in your first post, just remember that Green's Theorem applies to closed curves.

ok

the -x3 should be positive and thus the answer is -11/12

But how do i make it a closed curve and what do i subtract

You have a curve that takes you from (1,0) to (0,1), which means that you need to add another curve that takes you from (0,1) to (1,0), preferably one that would be easier to integrate over than the original. Then you'd have a closed loop and you could use Green's Theorem. But the answer you get won't correspond to your original integral so you'll have to subtract the portion that you added in the beginning. What would be the easiest way to close the curve in your example?

Note that by calculating the area the way you did you already chose the curve that completes the loop.

Of course you can just calculate the original integral by itself as Dick suggested. For that you would need to parametrize x and y using a single variable so that your integral becomes one-dimensional.

I think i should do it as a line integral over a paramaterized curve

y = 1-x2

r(t) = ti + (-t2 +1)j
r'(t) = i + -2tj

xyi - xj

F(r(t) = (-t3 + t)i - tj
F(r(t) dot r'(t) = -t3 + 2t2 + t

-[tex]\int[/tex]-t3 + 2t2 + t = -11/12

is this correct

joemama69 said:
I think i should do it as a line integral over a paramaterized curve

y = 1-x2

r(t) = ti + (-t2 +1)j
r'(t) = i + -2tj

xyi - xj

F(r(t) = (-t3 + t)i - tj
F(r(t) dot r'(t) = -t3 + 2t2 + t

-[tex]\int[/tex]-t3 + 2t2 + t = -11/12

is this correct

Yes, that's the easy way to do it. But why did you change the sign?? Oh, I see, x goes from 1 to 0, not 0 to 1. That's why isn't it?

Last edited:

t goes from 1 to 0

is that just a cusidence that i got the same answer when i used greens theorem incorectly

Yes, it so happens that the contribution of the curve that you should have used to complete the loop is zero. Basically what you calculated using GT was an integral of xyi - xj first along y = 1 - x2 from (1,0) to (0,1), then from (0,1) to (0,0) along the y-axis, then from (0,0) to (1,0) along the x-axis thus coming to the point you started from. However, the latter two integrals are zero so the only contribution comes from the first one.

Related to Green's Theorem for Evaluating Line Integrals on Curves

What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to calculate the line integral around a closed curve in a two-dimensional plane. It relates the line integral to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

When is Green's Theorem used?

Green's Theorem is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving vector fields and line integrals. It is particularly useful when dealing with conservative vector fields.

What are the conditions for using Green's Theorem?

To use Green's Theorem, the region enclosed by the curve must be simply connected (i.e. it does not contain any holes) and the curve must be piecewise smooth (i.e. it can be broken down into a finite number of smooth curves).

How do I apply Green's Theorem to solve a problem?

To apply Green's Theorem, first determine the region enclosed by the curve and express the line integral as a double integral using the appropriate formula. Then, evaluate the double integral using techniques from multivariable calculus.

What are the advantages of using Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem allows for the calculation of line integrals in a more efficient and systematic way compared to using the fundamental theorem of calculus. It also has applications in calculating areas and volumes of regions in a two-dimensional plane.