Green's Theorem: Solving A Complex Integral

In summary, the conversation is about solving the line integral of \oint x^{99}y^{100}dx + x^{100}y^{99}dy using Green's theorem. The integral is 0 and verified to be correct, with the potential being sin(xy)/100 in a conservative field. The integrand is rewritten as \sin^{99}t\cos^{99}(t)(\cos^{2}t-\sin^{2}t)=\frac{1}{2^{99}}\sin^{99}(2t)\cos(2t) and it is noted that Green's theorem can be verified in this particular case.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]\oint x^{99}y^{100}dx + x^{100}y^{99}dy[/tex]

Assuming that it satisfies the conditions for Green's theroem, and:

[tex] y = \sin{t} + 2, x = \cos{t}, 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

Green's theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = 100(xy)^{99}[/tex]
Which means that the integral is 0.
Is this right? It's that simple, or am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check that the contour was closed before you applied Greens theorem?

Sorry, it should be [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Yes, it is closed.

Rewrite the line integral's integrand as:
[tex]\sin^{99}t\cos^{99}(t)(\cos^{2}t-\sin^{2}t)=\frac{1}{2^{99}}\sin^{99}(2t)\cos(2t)[/tex]

Observe that Green's theorem can be verified in this particular case.

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand how did you make it look like that?
y = sint + 2, how did you get rid of the "+2"?

About Green's theorem - that was how I did it the first time. Differentiating each of the terms and observing that they are equal, thus I get [itex]/iint_{D}0 dA[/itex].
Someone else also pointed it out to me, that since this is a conservative field (with the potential being sin(xy)/100), a line integral of a conservative field in a closed circuit equals 0. Which is the same I get using Green's theorem.

I would still like your explanation as for how you got the integrand in this form.

Oops, I forgot about that!
Nonsense on my part..

The integrand will be slightly more complicated, I'll post a proper line integral solution later on

Related to Green's Theorem: Solving A Complex Integral

1. What is Green's Theorem and how is it used?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve complex integrals.

2. What is the formula for Green's Theorem?

The formula for Green's Theorem is:
C Pdx + Qdy = ∬R (∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y) dA
Where C is a positively oriented, piecewise smooth, simple closed curve in the xy-plane, P and Q are functions of x and y, and R is the region enclosed by C.

3. What are the conditions for Green's Theorem to be applicable?

The conditions for Green's Theorem to be applicable are:
1. The curve C must be piecewise smooth and simple closed.
2. The region R enclosed by C must be simply connected, meaning it does not contain any holes or intersections.
3. P and Q must have continuous first-order partial derivatives in R.

4. How is Green's Theorem used to solve complex integrals?

Green's Theorem is used to solve complex integrals by converting a difficult line integral into a simpler double integral, which can then be solved using standard integration techniques. This is especially helpful when the curve C is difficult to parameterize or when the integrand is difficult to integrate.

5. Can Green's Theorem be applied to three-dimensional vector fields?

No, Green's Theorem can only be applied to two-dimensional vector fields. For three-dimensional vector fields, a similar theorem called Stokes' Theorem is used.