Griffiths QM 6.22: Deriving $E_{fs}^1$ from H$_r$ and H$_{so}$

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of E^1_{fs} using various equations and constants such as E_r^1, H_{so}, and the Bohr radius. The final result is E_{fs}^1 = \frac{13.6}{n^3}\alpha^2\left[\frac{3}{4n} - \left(\frac{l(l+1) - m_lm_s}{l(l+1/2)(l+1}\right)\right]. The conversation also includes a stumbling block and a solution is found by re-expressing E_n and using the formula on the front jacket of the book.
snatchingthepi

Homework Statement

Starting from

[tex]E^1_{fs} = \left<n l m_l m_s| (H_r + H_{so})| n l m_l m_s \right>[/tex]

and using

[tex]E_r^1 = -\frac{(E_n)^2}{2mc^2}\left[\frac{4n}{l+1/2} - 3\right][/tex]

and

[tex]H_{so} = \frac{e^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{S\cdot L}{m^2c^2r^3}[/tex]

and

[tex]\left<\frac{1}{r^3}\right> = \frac{1}{l(l+1/2)(l+1)n^3a^3}[/tex]

where 'a' is the Bohr radius,

and

[tex]\left<S \cdot L\right> = \left<S_x\right>\left<L_x\right> + \left<S_y\right>\left<L_y\right> + \left<S_z\right>\left<L_z\right>[/tex][/B]

derive

[tex]E_{fs}^1 = \frac{13.6}{n^3}\alpha^2\left[\frac{3}{4n} - \left(\frac{l(l+1) - m_lm_s}{l(l+1/2)(l+1}\right)\right] [/tex]

Homework Equations

As above.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first bit of this is extremely straight-forward. I substitute the appropriate values and use the S.L stuff above to get

[tex]E^1_{fs} = \left<n l m_l m_s| (H_r + H_{so})| n l m_l m_s \right> = \frac{-(E_n)^2}{2mc^2}\left[\frac{4n}{l+l/2} - 3\right] + \frac{e^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{\hbar^2m_lm_s}{m^2c^2}\frac{1}{l(l+1/2)(l+1)n^3a^3}[/tex]

but from here on I seem to run into a stumbling block. I just don't how to get out any value of 13.6 [eV]. I know I can reexpress

[tex]E_n = \frac{-\alpha^2mc^2}{2n^2} = \frac{-m}{2n^2}\left(\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0\hbar}\right)^2[/tex]

but I am not seeing how to move forward. Trying to use this on the the E_n term in the RH of the above I get

[tex]\frac{\alpha^4mc^2}{8n^4}[/tex]

which seems to get me nowhere.

Could someone give me a kick in the right direction? I'm not seeing where to go with all this mathturbation.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
13.6 eV is just the result of all the constants in the [itex]E_n[/itex] term. Off the top of my head, I think you can write :
[tex] E_n = \frac{-13.6}{n^2} [/tex]
But do check this

Likes snatchingthepi
You are right. Looking that up helped a lot. The formula was on the front jacket of the book and I saw a few other definitions (equations) that helped me solve the problem. Thanks a lot.

Related to Griffiths QM 6.22: Deriving $E_{fs}^1$ from H$_r$ and H$_{so}$

1. What is the significance of Griffiths QM 6.22 in quantum mechanics?

Griffiths QM 6.22 is an important equation in quantum mechanics as it helps to determine the energy of the first excited state, denoted as Efs1, in a system with both spin-orbit coupling (Hso) and radial harmonic oscillator (Hr). This equation allows for a deeper understanding of the energy levels and behavior of particles in such systems.

2. How is Efs1 derived from Hr and Hso in Griffiths QM 6.22?

The equation for Efs1 can be derived by solving the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a potential energy well with both Hr and Hso terms included. This results in a second order differential equation, which can be solved to find the energy eigenvalues, including Efs1.

3. What are the main assumptions made in deriving Efs1 from Hr and Hso?

The main assumptions made in this derivation are that the particle has a spherically symmetric potential and that the spin-orbit coupling term is small compared to the radial harmonic oscillator term. Additionally, the particle is assumed to be in the first excited state, and the effects of spin and angular momentum are neglected.

4. Can Griffiths QM 6.22 be applied to systems with other types of potentials?

Yes, the equation can be applied to systems with other types of potentials, as long as they are spherically symmetric and the assumptions mentioned in the previous question are valid. However, the specific form of the potential will affect the solutions and resulting energy levels.

5. How does Griffiths QM 6.22 contribute to our understanding of quantum systems?

Griffiths QM 6.22 allows us to calculate the energy of the first excited state in a system with both radial harmonic oscillator and spin-orbit coupling terms, providing insight into the behavior and energy levels of particles in such systems. This equation can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of quantum systems in various fields, such as atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and condensed matter physics.