Grobner Bases - Second question on D&F Proposition 24

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases
In summary, there was a confusion in the proof of Proposition 24 in Dummit and Foote regarding the statement "But then LT(r) would be divisible by one of LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m), which is a contradiction unless r=0." The correct statement should be, "But then LT(r) would be divisible by one of LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m), which contradicts our assumption that no non-zero term in the remainder r is divisible by any LT(g_i)." This clarification was made after reviewing the proof and should address any confusion.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 9.6 Polynomials in Several Variables Over a Field and Grobner Bases.

I have a second problem (see previous post for first problem) understanding a step in the proof of Proposition 24, Page 322 of D&F

Proposition 24 reads as follows:

Proposition 24. Fix a monomial ordering on [TEX] R= F[x_1, ... , x_n] [/TEX] and let I be a non-zero ideal in R

(1) If [TEX] g_1, ... , g_m [/TEX] are any elements of I such that [TEX] LT(I) = (LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m) )[/TEX]

then [TEX] \{ g_1, ... , g_m \} [/TEX] is a Grobner Basis for I

(2) The ideal I has a Grobner BasisThe proof of Proposition 24 begins as follows:Proof: Suppose [TEX] g_1, ... , g_m \in I [/TEX] with [TEX] LT(I) = (LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m) ) [/TEX] .

We need to see that [TEX] g_1, ... , g_m [/TEX] generate the ideal I.

If [TEX] f \in I [/TEX] use general polynomial division to write [TEX] f = \sum q_i g_i + r [/TEX] where no non-zero term in the remainder r is divisible by any [TEX] LT(g_i) [/TEX]

Since [TEX] f \in I [/TEX], also [TEX] r \in I [/TEX], which means LT9r) is in LT(I).

But then LT(r) would be divisible by one of [TEX] LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m) [/TEX], which is a contradiction unless r= 0 ... ... etc etc

... ... ...

My problem is with the last (bold) statement - as follows:

We have that [TEX] LT(I) = (LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m) )[/TEX]

Now since [TEX] r \in LT(I) [/TEX], then we have that r is a finite sum of the form

[TEX] r = r_1 LT(g_1) + r_2 LT(g_2) + ... ... + r_m LT(g_m) [/TEX] ... ... ... (*)

where [TEX] LT(g_i) \in I [/TEX] and [TEX] r_i \in R [/TEX]

But surely (*) is NOT guaranteed to be divisible by [TEX] LT(g_i) [/TEX] for some i

Can someone please clarify this issue?

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. After reviewing the proof of Proposition 24 in Dummit and Foote, we have identified where the confusion lies.

The statement in question, "But then LT(r) would be divisible by one of LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m), which is a contradiction unless r=0," is not entirely accurate. The correct statement should be, "But then LT(r) would be divisible by one of LT(g_1), ... ... LT(g_m), which contradicts our assumption that no non-zero term in the remainder r is divisible by any LT(g_i)."

In other words, the contradiction arises from the fact that LT(r) is both in LT(I) and not divisible by any LT(g_i), which goes against our initial assumption.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and hope this clarifies the issue for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Related to Grobner Bases - Second question on D&F Proposition 24

1. What are Grobner bases?

Grobner bases are a set of polynomials that allow for the efficient solving of polynomial systems. They were first introduced by Bruno Buchberger in the 1960s and have since become an important tool in algebraic geometry and computer algebra systems.

2. What is the significance of Proposition 24 in Dummit and Foote's book?

Proposition 24 in Dummit and Foote's book, also known as the "Division Algorithm for Grobner Bases", states that given any polynomial ideal in a polynomial ring, there exists a unique Grobner basis for that ideal. This is a fundamental result that allows for the practical computation and use of Grobner bases.

3. How are Grobner bases calculated?

The calculation of Grobner bases follows an algorithmic approach, such as Buchberger's algorithm. This algorithm involves repeatedly computing the remainder of a division of polynomials until a certain condition is met, resulting in a set of polynomials that form a Grobner basis.

4. Can Grobner bases be used for solving systems of equations?

Yes, Grobner bases can be used to solve systems of polynomial equations. By converting the system into an ideal and then finding a Grobner basis for that ideal, solutions to the system can be obtained. However, the efficiency of this method depends on the size and complexity of the system.

5. What are some applications of Grobner bases?

Grobner bases have various applications in mathematics, including solving systems of equations, computing Gröbner covers, and determining the dimension of an algebraic variety. They also have practical applications in fields such as circuit design, cryptography, and robotics.