Grothendieck Problem: Solving $(*)$ Algebraically

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Grothendieck problem, which involves finding solutions to a differential equation with integer coefficients. The problem is that for almost every prime number, the equation has a certain number of linearly independent solutions. If this is true for all primes, then the equation has the same number of linearly independent solutions over the complex numbers, and they are all algebraic. The example given is the equation $xy'-ky=0$, where it is necessary to find a prime number such that the equation has one solution in the field of formal Laurent series over the prime field, and then the equation has one algebraic solution over the complex numbers.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Could you suggest me a book or a link where I can find some information about the Grothendieck problem about differential equations?

The Grothendieck problem that I am reffering to is the following:

$$\alpha_n(x)y^{(n)}(x)+\dots +a_1 (x)y'(x)+a_0(x)y(x)=0, a_i \in \mathbb{Z}[x]\ \ \ \ (*)$$

We suppose that for almost each prime $p$, $(*)$, modulo $p$, has $n$ linearly independent solutions (powerseries in $\mathbb{F}_p((x))$, with field of constants $\mathbb{F}_p((x^p))$). Then $(*)$ has $n$ linearly independent solutions (powerseries in $\mathbb{C}((x))$ with field of constants $\mathbb{C}((x))$) and all are algebraic.

Physics news on Phys.org
(I think that this problem is called Grothendieck-Katz conjecture.)Could you explain to me the above problem when we have for example the differential equation $xy'-ky=0, k\in \mathbb{Z}$ ?

We have to find a prime such that for all primes $p$ greater or equal than that one, it stands that modulo $p$ the differential equation has in this case one solution in $\mathbb{F}_p((x))$.

Then the differential equation has one algebraic solution in $\mathbb{C}((x))$.

Is this correct?

FAQ: Grothendieck Problem: Solving $(*)$ Algebraically

1. How do you define the Grothendieck Problem?

The Grothendieck Problem is a mathematical challenge named after mathematician Alexander Grothendieck. It involves solving a system of polynomial equations, denoted by $(*)$, with the goal of finding a polynomial that satisfies all of the equations simultaneously.

2. Why is the Grothendieck Problem important?

The Grothendieck Problem has important applications in algebraic geometry and number theory. It has also been used to study the structure of algebraic varieties and their properties. Additionally, solving the Grothendieck Problem has implications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. What is the difficulty level of solving the Grothendieck Problem?

The Grothendieck Problem is considered to be a highly challenging mathematical problem. It was initially thought to be unsolvable, but recent developments in algebraic geometry have led to progress in solving it. However, the problem is still open and continues to be an active area of research.

4. How do you approach solving the Grothendieck Problem?

There are various approaches to solving the Grothendieck Problem, including using algebraic geometric techniques, number theory methods, and computer algorithms. Some researchers have also attempted to use geometric constructions and topology to tackle the problem. However, there is no single definitive approach to solving $(*)$ algebraically.

5. Are there any known solutions to the Grothendieck Problem?

There are a few special cases of the Grothendieck Problem that have been solved, but a general solution for all possible systems of polynomial equations $(*)$ is not yet known. Some progress has been made in finding solutions for certain types of equations, but the problem remains open and challenging for mathematicians to solve.