Ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom

In summary, the question asks for the ground state energy of a two-particle gravitational atom consisting of two neutral spinless particles. By using the Hamiltonian for a single particle and assuming that the particles are identical and spinless, we can find the energy eigenvalues for one particle and add them together to get the total ground state energy. However, it is unclear how energy is quantized in this problem and it may be necessary to consider the problem in 3-d instead of 1-d.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Two neutral spinless particles of mass m are gravitationally bound to one another. What is the ground state energy of this two-particle gravitational atom?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, it's a two particle system, but

[tex] H_{total} = H_1 + H_2 [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{12} = \psi_1 \psi_2 [/tex] implies

[tex] H_{total} \psi_{12} = (H_1 + H_2) \psi_1 \psi_2 = (E_1 + E_2) \psi_1 \psi_2 [/tex].

So I should be able to find the energy eigenvalues for one of the particles since they're identical, then (assuming spinless = zero spin = bosons), I should just be able to add the two ground state energies together.

My Hamiltonian for a single particle is

[tex] \frac{p^2}{2m} - \frac{Gm^2}{x^2} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x ^2} - \frac{Gm^2}{x^2} [/tex]

so I get an ODE of the form

[tex] \frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2} - \frac{2 G m^3}{\hbar^2 x^2}\psi + \frac{2 mE}{\hbar^2} \psi = 0 [/tex]

What I don't see is how on Earth energy is quantized. I guess I am under the impression that to quantize any observable, we need boundary conditions (i.e., isn't it usually the presence of a boundary condition that causes quantization)? In any case, for a bound state, the total energy must be less than the potential for the system... but how do I fit that into this problem?

Or, option 2: have I set it up totally wrong? I could try to use the center of mass frame, in which things might start to look more like the hydrogen atom. Maybe I'll work on that until this gets some replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think this is a one-dimensional problem? I would treat it in 3-d, just like the hydrogen atom, except that the constants are different.

Related to Ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom

1. What is the ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom?

The ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom refers to the lowest possible energy state that the system can have. It is the energy level that the particles would naturally settle into and remain in unless acted upon by an outside force.

2. How is the ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom calculated?

The ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the mass and distance between the two particles, as well as the gravitational constant. Other factors such as spin and angular momentum may also be included in the calculation.

3. What is the significance of the ground state energy in a two particle gravitational atom?

The ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom has significant implications in understanding the stability and behavior of the system. It can also provide insights into the physical properties and interactions of the particles within the atom.

4. Can the ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom be changed?

Yes, the ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom can be changed by altering the parameters of the system, such as the distance between the particles or the masses of the particles. It can also be changed by introducing external forces or influences, such as electromagnetic fields.

5. How does the ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom compare to other types of atoms?

The ground state energy of a two particle gravitational atom is unique to its specific system and cannot be directly compared to other types of atoms. However, it can be used to make comparisons and predictions about the behaviors and properties of other similar systems, such as multi-particle gravitational atoms or atoms with different types of interactions.