Group isomorphism (C,+) to (R,+)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the groups (\mathbb{R},+) and (\mathbb{C},+) are isomorphic. The group operation must be preserved in an isomorphism, and it is suggested to find a bijection between the two groups. One member suggests using a function that maps real numbers to complex numbers, while another member argues that this function is not surjective. It is then suggested to treat both groups as vector spaces over the rationals and compare the cardinalities of their dimensions. It is mentioned that a basis for \mathbb{R} over \mathbb{Q} cannot be explicitly found, but it can be shown that a basis exists. Another member suggests using Zorn's
Max.Planck

Homework Statement

Prove [itex](\mathbb{R},+)[/itex] and [itex](\mathbb{C},+)[/itex] are isomorphic as groups.

Homework Equations

An isomorphism is a bijection from one group to another that preserves the group operation, that is [itex]\phi(ab)=\phi(a)\phi(b)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to find a bijection, but I can only find a bijection from [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] to [itex]R\times R[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Well all real numbers are lie within the complex set of numbers so you could define a function as σ:ℝ→ℂ such that σ(a)= a+0i where a [itex]\in[/itex]ℝ. This is a bijective map. Now you just need to show that this function preserves the group operation...

porroadventum said:
Well all real numbers are lie within the complex set of numbers so you could define a function as σ:ℝ→ℂ such that σ(a)= a+0i where a [itex]\in[/itex]ℝ. This is a bijective map.
No, it's not surjective.

I don't think you can write down an explicit isomorphism. Can you argue indirectly by treating them both as vector spaces over the rationals, and comparing the cardinalities of their dimensions?

jbunniii said:
I don't think you can write down an explicit isomorphism. Can you argue indirectly by treating them both as vector spaces over the rationals, and comparing the cardinalities of their dimensions?

I have seen a proof that does that, however they omit how to construct a basis for the vector space, to show what its dimension is.

Max.Planck said:
I have seen a proof that does that, however they omit how to construct a basis for the vector space, to show what its dimension is.

You cannot explicitely find a basis of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] over [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

However, you can show that a basis exists. This uses Zorn's lemma and is nonconstructive. In general, you can show that any vector space has a basis.

Finding the dimension of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] over [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is not so difficult though. Basically, you need to use that every vector space over [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Q}^X[/itex], where X is a set. It turns out that if X and Y have the same cardinality, then [itex]\mathbb{Q}^X\cong \mathbb{Q}^Y[/itex].
So we can write [itex]\mathbb{R}\cong \mathbb{Q}^X[/itex]. Then do you see a way of writing [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[itex]??

micromass said:
You cannot explicitely find a basis of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] over [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

However, you can show that a basis exists. This uses Zorn's lemma and is nonconstructive. In general, you can show that any vector space has a basis.

Finding the dimension of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] over [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is not so difficult though. Basically, you need to use that every vector space over [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Q}^X[/itex], where X is a set. It turns out that if X and Y have the same cardinality, then [itex]\mathbb{Q}^X\cong \mathbb{Q}^Y[/itex].
So we can write [itex]\mathbb{R}\cong \mathbb{Q}^X[/itex]. Then do you see a way of writing [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]??

So I would have to prove [itex]|\mathbb{R}|=|\mathbb{R}^{2}|[/itex], because [itex]|\mathbb{R^{2}}|=|\mathbb{C}|[/itex].

If you know already that C and R have the same cardinality then all you need to look for is a monomorphism to prove that they are isomorphic. Inclusion will do.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
If you know already that C and R have the same cardinality then all you need to look for is a monomorphism to prove that they are isomorphic. Inclusion will do.

I don't think this is true. The [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-vector spaces [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Q}^2[/itex] have the same cardinality and there is a monomorphism between [itex]\mathbb{Q}\rightarrow \mathbb{Q}^2[/itex], but the space are not isomorphic.

It might be that the argument in fact works in this case, but then that still needs to be proven.

Well, I am not sure, but (R,+) is a subgroup of (C,+), and they have the same cardinality.

Well, I am not sure there's a bijection between them.

I mean look at some number a in R, what are our options to send it to C, either a+ia (which is not surjective), or exp(ia), but exp(ia) isn't single valued.

I don't think there's such a bijection, at least I don't see it.

For RxR I am not either that there's a way (now I remember that the proof that aleph x aleph =aleph goes through Zorn's Lemma, which I am never really fond of).

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well, I am not sure, but (R,+) is a subgroup of (C,+), and they have the same cardinality.

Well, I am not sure there's a bijection between them.

I mean look at some number a in R, what are our options to send it to C, either a+ia (which is not surjective), or exp(ia), but exp(ia) isn't single valued.

I don't think there's such a bijection, at least I don't see it.
There is a bijection which you can construct explicitly. It won't be a homomorphism, of course. Start with a number ##z = a + bi \in \mathbb{C}##, and interleave the decimal (or binary, or whatever) expansions of ##a## and ##b## to get a new number ##r \in \mathbb{R}##. This isn't well defined as it stands, because the decimal expansion is not unique (##0.9999\ldots = 1.0000\ldots##, for example), but that it can be made well defined if you fix a rule for which expansion to use. (I think it suffices to always use the non-terminating one.) I'm glossing over some details, but this is the basic idea and it can be made to work.

FAQ: Group isomorphism (C,+) to (R,+)

1. What is group isomorphism?

Group isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two groups, where one group can be transformed into the other by a bijective map that preserves the group structure. In simpler terms, it means that the two groups have the same structure and behave in the same way.

2. What are the groups (C,+) and (R,+)?

(C,+) refers to the group of complex numbers under addition, where the operation is defined as adding two complex numbers together. (R,+) refers to the group of real numbers under addition, where the operation is defined as adding two real numbers together.

3. How do you show that (C,+) and (R,+) are isomorphic?

To show that two groups are isomorphic, we need to find a bijective map that preserves the group structure. In this case, the map is f(z) = Re(z) + Im(z)i, where Re(z) is the real part of z and Im(z) is the imaginary part of z. This map preserves the addition operation and is bijective, thus proving that (C,+) and (R,+) are isomorphic.

4. What are the implications of (C,+) and (R,+) being isomorphic?

The fact that (C,+) and (R,+) are isomorphic means that they share the same algebraic properties and can be used interchangeably in mathematical calculations. This can make certain problems easier to solve and also helps to provide a deeper understanding of the relationship between complex and real numbers.

5. Are there any other examples of group isomorphisms in mathematics?

Yes, there are many examples of group isomorphisms in mathematics. Some common examples include the isomorphism between (Z,+) and (N,+) (the groups of integers and natural numbers under addition), and the isomorphism between (Q,×) and (R,×) (the groups of rational and real numbers under multiplication).