Group Isomorphism: Proving G Is an Odd, Ablian Group

• MHB
  • Thread starter Andrei1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a Russian book of algebra where it is stated that a finite group G has an automorphism \varphi that satisfies certain conditions. The goal is to prove that G is an abelian odd group. In order to do so, the conversation discusses the relationship between \varphi and the elements of G, and concludes that G must be a group of odd order. The conversation also considers the possibility of proving commutativity by first showing that \varphi(a)=a^{-1}.
Andrei1
Here is a problem from some russian book of algebra:
Suppose \(\displaystyle G\) is a finite group. An automorphism \(\displaystyle \varphi\) "operates" on this group. This automorphism satisfies the following two conditions: 1) \(\displaystyle \varphi^2=e_G\); 2) if \(\displaystyle a\not= e\), then \(\displaystyle \varphi(a)\not= a.\) Prove that \(\displaystyle G\) is an abelian odd group.

\(\displaystyle \varphi(x)=y\leftrightarrow\varphi(y)=x\) and I know \(\displaystyle \varphi(e)=e.\) I can see from this that \(\displaystyle G\) is a group of odd order. How I prove commutativity? Do you think I can prove first that \(\displaystyle \varphi(a)=a^{-1}\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei said:
Here is a problem from some russian book of algebra:\(\displaystyle \varphi(x)=y\leftrightarrow\varphi(y)=x\) and I know \(\displaystyle \varphi(e)=e.\) I can see from this that \(\displaystyle G\) is a group of odd order. How I prove commutativity? Do you think I can prove first that \(\displaystyle \varphi(a)=a^{-1}\)?

as johng's post shows, the answer is yes.

Related to Group Isomorphism: Proving G Is an Odd, Ablian Group

1. What is group isomorphism?

Group isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two groups. It is a one-to-one mapping between the elements of one group and the elements of another group, where the operation and structure of the groups are preserved.

2. How do you prove that a group is an odd, abelian group?

To prove that a group is an odd, abelian group, you need to show that it has an odd number of elements and that it satisfies the four properties of an abelian group: closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. You also need to demonstrate that the group's operation is commutative.

3. What are the benefits of proving group isomorphism?

Proving group isomorphism can help to simplify and classify mathematical structures, making them easier to understand and manipulate. It also allows for the transfer of knowledge and techniques from one group to another, making problem-solving more efficient.

4. Can a group be isomorphic to itself?

Yes, a group can be isomorphic to itself. This is known as the identity isomorphism and it maps each element of the group to itself, preserving the group's structure and operation.

5. Are there different types of group isomorphism?

Yes, there are different types of group isomorphism, including cyclic isomorphism, where the groups have a cyclic structure, and dihedral isomorphism, where the groups have a symmetrical structure. There are also isomorphisms that preserve specific properties, such as order-preserving isomorphisms and automorphisms.