Group Theory Question: Ker(p) and Homomorphisms Explained in Detail

In summary, the conversation discusses a group homomorphism with a given kernel and an element of the group. The goal is to show that the set Ka is equal to the set of elements in G that map to the same value as a under the homomorphism. The conversation also addresses a potential roadblock in the solution, which is resolved by understanding the properties of groups.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let p: G-->M be a group homomorphism with ker(p) = K. If a is an element of G, how that Ka = {g in G | p(g) = p(a)}

Homework Equations

none needed

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I've been struggling with this problem for awhile and I've ran into a problem:

-Let g be an element of Ka
-Let b be an element of K such that ba = g.

Since g is an element of Ka and the intersection of Ka and K is {1}, p(g) does not equal zero.

But then if ba = g then:
p(ba) = p(g)
p(b)p(a) = p(g)
0p(a) = 0, but p(g) can't be zero!

Someone want to shed some light perhaps? I guess I need help on understanding this road block I've run into as well as the actual problem >.<. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say p(b)=0?

Likes PsychonautQQ
Nevermind. Lol I'm a noob i had an error in how I was thinking.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let p: G-->M be a group homomorphism with ker(p) = K. If a is an element of G, how that Ka = {g in G | p(g) = p(a)}

Homework Equations

none needed

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I've been struggling with this problem for awhile and I've ran into a problem:

-Let g be an element of Ka
-Let b be an element of K such that ba = g.

Since g is an element of Ka and the intersection of Ka and K is {1}, p(g) does not equal zero.

What is zero? You're dealing with groups. 1 is the identity and all elements are invertible.

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to Group Theory Question: Ker(p) and Homomorphisms Explained in Detail

1. What is Ker(p) in group theory?

Ker(p) stands for the kernel of a group homomorphism p. It is the set of all elements in the domain of p that map to the identity element in the codomain of p. In simpler terms, it is the set of elements that get mapped to the identity element when they are passed through the homomorphism.

2. How is Ker(p) related to the concept of a homomorphism?

Ker(p) is an important concept in group theory because it helps us understand the behavior of homomorphisms. It tells us which elements in the domain of a homomorphism will get mapped to the identity element in the codomain. This information is crucial in analyzing the structure and properties of groups.

3. Can you provide an example of Ker(p) in a group?

Yes, let's consider the group of integers under addition, denoted as (Z, +). The group homomorphism p: Z → Z defined by p(x) = 2x has a kernel of {0}. This means that all the elements in Z that get mapped to 0 when passed through p belong to the kernel. In this case, p(0) = 0, p(1) = 2, p(-1) = -2, and so on. Only 0 gets mapped to the identity element (0) in Z, hence it is the only element in the kernel.

4. How is the concept of homomorphisms important in group theory?

Homomorphisms play a crucial role in group theory as they preserve the structure and properties of groups. They are functions that map elements from one group to another while maintaining the group operation. This allows us to study the properties of a group by looking at its homomorphic image, which may be a simpler or more familiar group.

5. Can you explain the term "homomorphic image"?

A homomorphic image is the image of a group under a homomorphism. In other words, it is the set of elements that a homomorphism maps to in the codomain. For example, if we have a homomorphism p: G → H, the homomorphic image of G is the set Im(p) = {p(x) | x ∈ G}. The homomorphic image may have different properties than the original group, but it still retains important information about the structure of the original group.