Guarantee positiveness of an expression

• MHB
  • Thread starter Siron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the speaker is discussing an expression involving a variable $\mu$ and the conditions for it to be well-defined, specifically that the right hand side is positive and the denominator is not zero. They are wondering if there are conditions on other variables $a$ and $b$ that can guarantee positiveness. The speaker shares their plan to force conditions on $a$ and $b$ to make the denominator negative and have a negative vertex, but acknowledges that this may not give enough flexibility to control the numerator. They suggest finding a non-empty intersection of two sets to potentially restrict $\mu$ to only one interval.
Siron
Hello!

I have the following expression:
$$\delta^2 = \frac{-\mu^2(5a\mu-4\mu^2-b)}{15a\mu-20\mu^2-3b}.$$
where $\mu \in \mathbb{R}$. Since $\delta^2$ is real (in the subject I'm working on) I need to check under which condition(s) the expression is well defined, that is, the RHS is positive and the denominator is not zero. The latter is not important for my question. Under certain assumption(s) on $a$ and $b$ it is not that difficult to find an interval around $\mu$ such that the RHS is indeed positive. However, it would be more suitable if I have conditions on $a$ and $b$ only (thus independent of $\mu$) such that the positiveness is guaranteed. I'm wondering if this is possible ...

In my opinion the big issue is the $-\mu^2$ in the numerator since this implies that I have to check:
$$\frac{5a\mu-4\mu^2-b}{15a\mu-20\mu^2-3b}<0$$
The expression is negative if and only if the numerator is positive and the denominator is negative (the other case is not possible here). Both numerator and denominator represent upside down parabola. If I write the denominator in vertex form then I guess I could force conditions on $a$ and $b$ such that it has a negative vertex and a negative discriminant and thus always negative values. However since the numerator is also an upside down parabola it is impossible to guarantee that it is always positive.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Siron said:
Hello!

I have the following expression:
$$\delta^2 = \frac{-\mu^2(5a\mu-4\mu^2-b)}{15a\mu-20\mu^2-3b}.$$
where $\mu \in \mathbb{R}$. Since $\delta^2$ is real (in the subject I'm working on) I need to check under which condition(s) the expression is well defined, that is, the RHS is positive and the denominator is not zero. The latter is not important for my question. Under certain assumption(s) on $a$ and $b$ it is not that difficult to find an interval around $\mu$ such that the RHS is indeed positive. However, it would be more suitable if I have conditions on $a$ and $b$ only (thus independent of $\mu$) such that the positiveness is guaranteed. I'm wondering if this is possible ...

In my opinion the big issue is the $-\mu^2$ in the numerator since this implies that I have to check:
$$\frac{5a\mu-4\mu^2-b}{15a\mu-20\mu^2-3b}<0$$
The expression is negative if and only if the numerator is positive and the denominator is negative (the other case is not possible here). Both numerator and denominator represent upside down parabola. If I write the denominator in vertex form then I guess I could force conditions on $a$ and $b$ such that it has a negative vertex and a negative discriminant and thus always negative values. However since the numerator is also an upside down parabola it is impossible to guarantee that it is always positive.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

I think your plan in the last paragraph is the best you can do. As you say, you simply can't make the numerator of your fraction positive everywhere. However, I do see a problem even with the plan in your last paragraph: if you clamp down what $a$ and $b$ are by forcing the discriminant of the denominator to be negative, as well as the denominator having a negative vertex, that may not give you much flexibility in controlling how the numerator behaves, since the same $a$ and $b$ show up there. Theoretically, without considering the denominator for a second, you can control the shifting of the parabola in the numerator: $a$ controls the horizontal, and $b$ the vertical. Therefore, for any contiguous $\mu$ interval you desire, you can make the numerator positive on that interval. Which brings up the important point: can you restrict your attention to $\mu$ only in one interval? Suppose you have an interval $(x,y)$ to which you can restrict your $\mu$. You might possibly be able to find a non-empty intersection of the two sets:
$$\{(a,b):[(225a^2-4(20)(3b)<0] \, \land \, [(3b/20-9a^2/64)>0]\}$$
and
$$\{(a,b):-4\mu^2+5a\mu-b>0 \; \forall \, \mu\in(x,y)\}.$$

Ackbach said:
I think your plan in the last paragraph is the best you can do. As you say, you simply can't make the numerator of your fraction positive everywhere. However, I do see a problem even with the plan in your last paragraph: if you clamp down what $a$ and $b$ are by forcing the discriminant of the denominator to be negative, as well as the denominator having a negative vertex, that may not give you much flexibility in controlling how the numerator behaves, since the same $a$ and $b$ show up there. Theoretically, without considering the denominator for a second, you can control the shifting of the parabola in the numerator: $a$ controls the horizontal, and $b$ the vertical. Therefore, for any contiguous $\mu$ interval you desire, you can make the numerator positive on that interval. Which brings up the important point: can you restrict your attention to $\mu$ only in one interval? Suppose you have an interval $(x,y)$ to which you can restrict your $\mu$. You might possibly be able to find a non-empty intersection of the two sets:
$$\{(a,b):[(225a^2-4(20)(3b)<0] \, \land \, [(3b/20-9a^2/64)>0]\}$$
and
$$\{(a,b):-4\mu^2+5a\mu-b>0 \; \forall \, \mu\in(x,y)\}.$$

Thank you for your help Ackbach, I really appreciate it.

The two conditions of the first set are equivalent with $a^2 < \displaystyle \frac{16}{15}b$, which excludes $b<0$. Solving the inequality in the second set yields the following solution:
$$\mu \in \left]\frac{1}{8}\left(5a-\sqrt{25a^2-16b}\right), \frac{1}{8}\left(5a+\sqrt{25a^2-16b}\right)\right[$$
where $a \in \mathbb{R}$ and $b<\displaystyle \frac{25a^2}{16}$. The intersection of both sets is then given by:
$$\left \{a \in \mathbb{R}, b \in \left ] \frac{15}{16}a^2, \frac{25}{16}a^2\right[ \right \}$$
under the assumption that $\mu \in ]x,y[$ where $x$ and $y$ are given as above.

Siron said:
Thank you for your help Ackbach, I really appreciate it.

The two conditions of the first set are equivalent with $a^2 < \displaystyle \frac{16}{15}b$, which excludes $b<0$. Solving the inequality in the second set yields the following solution:
$$\mu \in \left]\frac{1}{8}\left(5a-\sqrt{25a^2-16b}\right), \frac{1}{8}\left(5a+\sqrt{25a^2-16b}\right)\right[$$
where $a \in \mathbb{R}$ and $b<\displaystyle \frac{25a^2}{16}$. The intersection of both sets is then given by:
$$\left \{a \in \mathbb{R}, b \in \left ] \frac{15}{16}a^2, \frac{25}{16}a^2\right[ \right \}$$
under the assumption that $\mu \in ]x,y[$ where $x$ and $y$ are given as above.

Yeah, I was just about to write that the two conditions in the first set are equivalent.

Your working looks correct to me! I think that's the best you can do.

Related to Guarantee positiveness of an expression

1. How can I guarantee that an expression will always be positive?

The best way to guarantee positiveness of an expression is to use mathematical principles and properties to manipulate the expression. This can include using absolute value, factoring, and simplifying the expression to remove any negative terms.

2. Is there a specific rule or formula to follow to ensure that an expression is positive?

There is no specific rule or formula to guarantee positiveness of an expression. However, some helpful tips include avoiding division by negative numbers, using the correct order of operations, and understanding the behavior of exponents.

3. Can changing the order of operations affect the positivity of an expression?

Yes, changing the order of operations can definitely affect the positivity of an expression. For example, if there are both addition and subtraction operations in the expression, changing the order of these operations can result in a different outcome and potentially alter the positivity of the expression.

4. How can I determine if an expression is always positive without solving it?

There are a few ways to determine the positivity of an expression without fully solving it. These include checking for any absolute value symbols, identifying the behavior of the exponents, and looking for any potential restrictions or limitations on the variables in the expression.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when trying to guarantee positiveness of an expression?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that all variables in an expression are positive. It is important to consider all possible values of the variables and how they may affect the positivity of the expression. Additionally, always double check the order of operations and carefully simplify the expression to avoid any errors.