Guidance regarding Mathematical Physics

In summary, the speaker has an MSc in Physics and BE in Electronics Engg, but with a low GPA. They are interested in doctoral studies in Mathematical Physics, but did not do well in the PhD admissions exams in India. They are now looking to enhance their profile for applying to institutions abroad. They have tried approaching professors in India for guidance, but have not been successful. They are also taking relevant MOOCs to improve their profile. The speaker is considering applying overseas because they believe those schools have a more holistic view of applicants. However, they are unsure if their plan is realistic given their poor academic performance.
junkicide
Hello all,
I've done an MSc in Physics alongwith a BE in Electronics Engg, graduating in 2014. My scores are quite poor (GPA: 6.23/10), but I am interested in doctoral studies in Mathematical Physics. I wrote exams for PhD admissions here in India for this year but did not fare well enough for an admit at any of the good institutes.
I do not want to spend another year just studying the material again and am hence looking to further my knowledge and better my profile to apply to institutions abroad.
I've tried approaching professors here for informal guidance but they seem not too keen to take students who aren't enrolled anywhere.
I am also doing relevant MOOCs as and when they are being offered.
Are there any other things you suggest I could do to better my profile so I can apply to doctoral programs abroad in about a year?

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting into a graduate school overseas is generally more competitive than in your home country. Given that, do you think your plan is realistic?

Admissions here are primarily based on the exam scores of these entrance exams, they evaluate your profile only after that. So if you don't make the cut-off for these exams you are not even considered.
The reason I was thinking of applying overseas was that they have a more holistic view of their candidates, not simply based on one metric.
Also, my MSc+BE dual degree is from one of the reputed institutes here.

You didn't do well in exams. You didn't do well with grades. What exactly is this 'holistic view' supposed to see in your favor?

junkicide said:
I am also doing relevant MOOCs as and when they are being offered.

Completely useless for admissions.

FAQ: Guidance regarding Mathematical Physics

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical tools and techniques to study physical phenomena and solve problems in the field of physics. It applies mathematical concepts and principles to describe and explain the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

2. What are the main areas of study in mathematical physics?

The main areas of study in mathematical physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and relativity. These fields use mathematical methods to describe and understand the behavior of matter and energy in the physical world.

3. How does mathematical physics differ from theoretical physics?

Mathematical physics and theoretical physics are closely related, but there are some key differences between the two. Mathematical physics focuses on using mathematical tools to solve problems and make predictions in physics, while theoretical physics is more concerned with developing new theories and models to explain physical phenomena.

4. What are some common mathematical methods used in mathematical physics?

Some common mathematical methods used in mathematical physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, and vector calculus. These tools are used to model and analyze physical systems and make quantitative predictions about their behavior.

5. What are the applications of mathematical physics in the real world?

Mathematical physics has a wide range of applications in the real world, including in fields such as engineering, astronomy, meteorology, and material science. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as GPS, lasers, and medical imaging devices. Additionally, mathematical physics plays a crucial role in understanding and solving global challenges such as climate change and energy production.