GW150914 and GW150914-GBM revisited

• I
  • Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
In summary, the paper discusses the association between the LIGO detection of a black hole merger event and Fwemi detection of a short GRB. The author argues that the statistical evidence for this association is impressive, but the lack of a plausible astrophysical mechanism to account for the GRB signal is concerning. Other capable instruments have also not detected the GRB, adding to the uncertainty. While the author concludes that the GRB detection was unrelated to the GW, it is possible that the theory of general relativity may need to be tweaked to explain the observations. Further experimental results are needed to resolve this issue.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The association between the LIGO detection of a black hole merger event and Fwemi detection of a short GRB appears to be unsettled based on this paper http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.07352, Fermi GBM signal contemporaneous with GW150914 - an unlikely association. The author points out the magnetic field strength required and unlikelihood of sufficient plasma in a binary black hole system to account for an EM signal of the power measured. While statistics claiming an association between the GRB and GW signal are impressive, the lack of a credible astrophysical mechanism to account for the GRB signal is not. The non-detection by other capable instruments [e.g., Swift, INTEGRAL, IceCube & ANTARES] is also unassuring.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As with previous discussions on this subject, it seems clear that there is no obvious explanation for the GRB if GR is assumed to be correct right up to the level of black holes.

However, the author's conclusion that the GRB detection was therefore unrelated to the GW seems very one-sided.

I'm not aware of any direct evidence that GR is correct up to that level, so I would consider an alternative explanation to be that the objects were not black holes, although they were of comparable density, so the theory needs tweaking. Note that it has been previously suggested that polarization measurements suggest extremely strong magnetic field close to some quasars, which isn't easy to reconcile with black hole theory, and that's on a far larger scale than the assumed black holes in the GW case.

I can't think of any objective way of assessing the a-priori strength of the theory in this extreme case, and I must admit I've always had doubts about it myself, so in the absence of further information at presence the primary parameter in any discussions on this subject seems to be the author's level of confidence in standard GR black hole theory. I eagerly await further experimental results which may help to resolve this situation.

Related to GW150914 and GW150914-GBM revisited

1. What is GW150914 and GW150914-GBM revisited?

GW150914 and GW150914-GBM revisited are two scientific studies that were published in 2016 and 2018, respectively. They both explore the detection and analysis of gravitational waves from a merging binary black hole system.

2. Why are these studies significant?

These studies are significant because they are the first direct detections of gravitational waves, which were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. They confirm the existence of gravitational waves and open up a new window for studying the universe.

3. What were the findings of these studies?

The studies found that GW150914 and GW150914-GBM were both produced by the merging of two black holes, with masses of approximately 36 and 29 times the mass of the sun. This event occurred about 1.3 billion years ago and released an enormous amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves.

4. How were these gravitational waves detected?

The gravitational waves were detected by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and the Fermi Gamma-ray Burst Monitor (GBM). LIGO uses two detectors, one in Louisiana and one in Washington, to measure tiny distortions in space caused by passing gravitational waves. The GBM detects gamma-ray bursts, which are powerful bursts of energy that can be produced by merging black holes.

5. What impact do these studies have on our understanding of the universe?

These studies have greatly advanced our understanding of the universe. They have confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, provided evidence for the existence of binary black hole systems, and opened up a new field of research for studying the universe. Additionally, they have confirmed the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity and provided new insights into the nature of black holes and their mergers.