[H+] and pH of 100 mM solution of KOH

• Thread starter SirPencil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    koh Ph
In summary, the [H+] of a 100 mM solution of KOH is equal to the concentration of OH- ions, which is 100 mM, resulting in a highly basic pH of 14. The concentration of KOH directly affects the [H+] and pH of the solution, with higher concentrations leading to higher [H+] and pH values. A 100 mM solution of KOH is considered basic, but its pH can be adjusted by adding an acid or diluting the solution with water.
SirPencil

Homework Statement

What is [H+] and pH for a 100 mM solution of KOH

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems very simple..its only 2 marks but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I understand KOH will dissociate into K+ and OH-

pOH=-log(OH) ?
ph + pOH = 14
p[OH]=-log[100x10^-6?]
where and what am i doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
milli is not 10-6.

--
methods

I thought it was micro lol

Related to [H+] and pH of 100 mM solution of KOH

1. What is the [H+] of a 100 mM solution of KOH?

The [H+] of a 100 mM solution of KOH can be calculated using the equation pH = -log[H+]. Since KOH is a strong base, it will dissociate completely in water to form OH- ions. Therefore, the [H+] will be equal to the concentration of OH- ions, which is 100 mM. This results in a pH of 14, which is highly basic.

2. What is the pH of a 100 mM solution of KOH?

The pH of a 100 mM solution of KOH can be calculated using the equation pH = -log[H+]. Since KOH is a strong base, it will dissociate completely in water to form OH- ions. Therefore, the pH will be equal to 14, which is highly basic.

3. How does the concentration of KOH affect the [H+] and pH of the solution?

The higher the concentration of KOH, the higher the concentration of OH- ions in the solution. This leads to an increase in the [H+] and pH of the solution. For example, a 200 mM solution of KOH will have a [H+] of 200 mM and a pH of 14.

4. Is a 100 mM solution of KOH considered acidic or basic?

A 100 mM solution of KOH is considered basic because it has a pH of 14. pH values below 7 are considered acidic, while pH values above 7 are considered basic.

5. How can the pH of a 100 mM solution of KOH be adjusted?

The pH of a 100 mM solution of KOH can be adjusted by adding an acid, such as HCl, to neutralize the excess OH- ions. This will result in a decrease in the [H+] and a decrease in the pH of the solution. Alternatively, the pH can also be adjusted by diluting the solution with water, which will decrease the concentration of KOH and therefore decrease the [H+] and pH.