H2O2 Stability in Water at 5-10 Degrees

• Thread starter endlez wonder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stability
In summary, H2O2 diluted in water at 5-10 degrees will not stay stable. The recommended concentration for cleaning a screen is 6% and it should be used within a few hours. Care should be taken to not get it on flammable surfaces.
endlez wonder
Does H2O2 stay stable once diluted in Water kept at 5-10 degrees. If so for how long?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It doesn't.

I am attempting to clean a screen with H2O2 based on the manufacturers recomendations. I am mixing a 6% solution of H2O2 (50% conc) and water. I trust I should be able to count on 6% for a few hours! Am I wrong:(

It'll last that long. Don't cap it tightly. As the peroxide works on the stuff on the screen and the screen itself, the concentration will go down. You should see bubbles on the screen throughout the process.

http://www.bold-tech.com/technical/piranha_etch.html" It works!

Last edited by a moderator:
endlez wonder said:
Does H2O2 stay stable once diluted in Water kept at 5-10 degrees. If so for how long?

endlez wonder said:

My previous company produced it in batch quantities at 1% and stored it for a 4 days at the most at room temperature. It isn't that interesting at low concentrations however there are all sorts of problems with it at high concentrations - be certain to not get it on flammable surfaces e.g. wood and even leather shoes if you are wearing one even a few drips may cause it to catch fire.

Related to H2O2 Stability in Water at 5-10 Degrees

1. What is the shelf life of H2O2 in water at 5-10 degrees?

The shelf life of H2O2 in water at 5-10 degrees is typically 6-12 months when stored in a cool, dark place. However, this may vary depending on the concentration and purity of the H2O2 solution.

2. Does the stability of H2O2 in water change with temperature?

Yes, the stability of H2O2 in water decreases as the temperature increases. Higher temperatures can accelerate the decomposition of H2O2, shortening its shelf life.

3. How can I extend the stability of H2O2 in water at 5-10 degrees?

To extend the stability of H2O2 in water at 5-10 degrees, store the solution in a cool, dark place and avoid exposure to direct sunlight or heat sources. Also, make sure to tightly seal the container after each use to prevent any contamination.

4. How can I test the stability of H2O2 in water?

To test the stability of H2O2 in water, you can use a titration method or a chemical test strip. These methods can determine the concentration of H2O2 in the solution and indicate any changes in stability over time.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling H2O2 in water at 5-10 degrees?

Yes, it is important to handle H2O2 with care as it is a strong oxidizing agent. Make sure to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe handling and disposal.