Half-Life Calculation: Radioisotope

In summary, the conversation is about finding the half-life of a radioisotope given its initial and final activity levels. The decay equation and the relationship between the decay constant and half-life are discussed, and the final answer is calculated to be 361 hours. The conversation also mentions the importance of unit conversion in the calculations.
UWMpanther
[SOLVED] Half Life Help

Homework Statement

The activity of a radioisotope is 3000 counts per minute at one time and 2736 counts per minute 48 hours later. What is the half-life of th radioisotope?

This is where I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
See here for some information:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli2.html#c3
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli2.html#c2

You first need to figure out the decay constant (represented by [tex]\lambda[/tex]), which you can do by using the decay equation. Once you have that, you can find the half-life*. The equations you need are in the link. Give it a try and see what you come up with.

*Or you could just substitute the expression for lambda (which relates to the half-life) into the decay equation and solve for the half-life all in one go. Same thing.

Last edited:
[tex]\ln{\frac {[A]_{0}}{[A]_{t}}} = kt[/tex]

[tex]t_{\frac {1}{2}} = \frac {\ln{2}}{k}[/tex]

Take 3000 counts as [tex]A_{0}[/tex] and 2736 counts as [tex]A_{t}[/tex]

Also, do you know how the half-life equation is derived? And what connects these 2 equations?

*don't forget to convert your units.

Last edited:
ok so [tex]\ln{\frac {[A]_{0}}{[A]_{t}}} = kt[/tex] is what I'm going to use to calculate k

and then i use [tex]t_{\frac {1}{2}} = \frac {\ln{2}}{k}[/tex] to calculate for [tex]t_{\frac {1}{2}}[/tex]

Did you get an answer?

yeah I got 21661 mins which then I converted to hours and that is 361 hours.

UWMpanther said:
yeah I got 21661 mins which then I converted to hours and that is 361 hours.

Looks good to me.

FAQ: Half-Life Calculation: Radioisotope

What is a Half-Life Calculation?

A Half-Life Calculation is a mathematical equation used to determine the amount of time it takes for a radioactive isotope to decay by half of its original amount.

Why is Half-Life Calculation important in scientific research?

Half-Life Calculation is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the decay rate of a radioactive isotope, which can provide valuable information about the age of materials and the behavior of certain elements in different environments.

How is Half-Life Calculation used in medicine?

In medicine, Half-Life Calculation is used to determine the appropriate dosage and timing for administering radioactive treatments or medications. It can also be used to measure the effectiveness of these treatments over time.

What factors can affect the accuracy of Half-Life Calculation?

The accuracy of Half-Life Calculation can be affected by factors such as external influences (such as temperature or pressure), impurities in the sample, and the stability of the isotope being measured.

What other applications does Half-Life Calculation have?

Besides its use in scientific research and medicine, Half-Life Calculation also has applications in environmental studies, nuclear power, and archeology. It can also be used to track the movement of substances through different systems, such as water or air currents.

Back