Hammer vs Bullet: Joe's Debate on Energy Delivery

• Thread starter ihammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary: The hammer has more energy because you're using more of your body. You might be able to hammer a nail into the stuff that nail guns are used for in a single blow, but it's going to be harder and it's more likely to miss the target.
ihammer
Hello,
First post guys, but I have a ongoing debate in need of a answer

OK, I believe I deliver much more energy with a blow from my hammer then if I fired a bullet at the same object. especially since I am a 240lbs. muscle bound highly skilled carpenter using a 22oz. framing hammer.
I can find data for the bullets. I can find no data for the hammer. This is what brings me here.

45 long colt - muzzle velocity 761 FPS - Muzzle energy 322 FT.LB

Could someone please show me how to address this problem

Thank you,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Treating the hammer as a simple projectile (ignoring the fact that you are holding it), find its kinetic energy. You have its mass, now just estimate how fast you can get it moving. The formula for kinetic energy is:

[tex]E = 1/2 m v^2[/tex]

Welcome to PF!

ihammer said:
OK, I believe I deliver much more energy with a blow from my hammer then if I fired a bullet at the same object.

Hi Joe ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Energy would be important if you were launching straight up.

But if you're firing at a target, surely what matters is momentum? :smile:

ihammer said:
Hello,
First post guys, but I have a ongoing debate in need of a answer

OK, I believe I deliver much more energy with a blow from my hammer then if I fired a bullet at the same object. especially since I am a 240lbs. muscle bound highly skilled carpenter using a 22oz. framing hammer.
I can find data for the bullets. I can find no data for the hammer. This is what brings me here.

45 long colt - muzzle velocity 761 FPS - Muzzle energy 322 FT.LB

Could someone please show me how to address this problem

Thank you,
Joe

You can do this experimentally. Use 16d regular nails and oak, so that you can take at least 2 full swings. Start a nail, measure the height, drive it as hard as you can, and measure the height again. So you have some work (energy) to measure against.

Now start another nail. Ask around for a press (preferably hydraulic). If none of your buds have one, go down to the local auto parts store, tell them what you're doing and buy them a six-pack to let you use the bearing press. Measure the amount of force it takes to push the nail into the wood. Multiply that times the distance from above. You should have the energy +/- 20%.

How about hammer versus nail gun? Can you hammer a nail into the stuff that nail guns are used for in a single blow?

Related to Hammer vs Bullet: Joe's Debate on Energy Delivery

1. What is the difference between the energy delivery of a hammer and a bullet?

The main difference is the mechanism of delivery. A hammer delivers energy through the physical force of impact, while a bullet delivers energy through the explosion of gunpowder.

2. Which method of energy delivery is more efficient?

It depends on the context. In terms of direct impact and force, a hammer may be more efficient. However, in terms of long-range delivery and penetration, a bullet may be more efficient.

3. Can a hammer or bullet deliver more energy?

Again, it depends on the context. A hammer can deliver more energy with a single impact, but a bullet can deliver multiple impacts at a distance, potentially resulting in more overall energy delivery.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a hammer or bullet for energy delivery?

Yes, there are safety concerns with both. A hammer can cause injury or damage if used improperly or without proper protection. A bullet can also cause harm if not used responsibly and with proper safety precautions.

5. Which method of energy delivery is more commonly used in scientific and industrial applications?

It depends on the specific application. In construction and manufacturing, hammers are more commonly used for energy delivery. In warfare and ballistics, bullets are more commonly used. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages depending on the purpose and context.