Handling Particles: A Non-Physicist's Query

• Thread starter SaulC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how particles, specifically atoms and subatomic particles, are handled and manipulated in particle accelerators. The speaker raises concerns about the theoretical nature of atoms and the ability to actually handle and manipulate them physically. The responder clarifies that particle accelerators are used for charged particles, not neutral atoms, and that they are handled using electromagnetic fields. The responder also highlights the limitations of using our eyes to determine what is "real".
SaulC
This might seem to be a silly question to some. Please understand I'm no physicist.

I've been watching a series on electromagnetism, energy, matter in general, for the general public. Nowhere can I find an answer to this simple question: if atoms and everything inside of them are smaller than the smallest light waves we can see, if no one has ever seen an atom, if the Atomic Theory is merely a (pretty good) description of how matter behaves, if the familiar image of electrons spinning around a nucleus is a useful model rather than the thing itself, how on Earth is it possible to place a single particle inside a particle accelerator, make it go several times around the block and see what happens when it collides with another, precisely placed, particle? How can you pick up, handle, place & accelerate an atom? Or a subatomic particle?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SaulC said:
This might seem to be a silly question to some. Please understand I'm no physicist.

I've been watching a series on electromagnetism, energy, matter in general, for the general public. Nowhere can I find an answer to this simple question: if atoms and everything inside of them are smaller than the smallest light waves we can see, if no one has ever seen an atom, if the Atomic Theory is merely a (pretty good) description of how matter behaves, if the familiar image of electrons spinning around a nucleus is a useful model rather than the thing itself, how on Earth is it possible to place a single particle inside a particle accelerator, make it go several times around the block and see what happens when it collides with another, precisely placed, particle? How can you pick up, handle, place & accelerate an atom? Or a subatomic particle?

Thanks.

We NEVER place "a single particle" in an accelerator and make it collide with another. That is a very wasteful way of doing high energy physics experiment.

If you look carefully, ALL of the particle collider experiments have been done on CHARGED particles or ions, not neutral atoms. We guide, manipulate, and handle them using electromagnetic field (RF) with a particular geometry because they interact with such fields.

Zz.

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't necessarily making the distinction between a charged particle and a neutral atom, I was rather wondering how you could "handle" something like that. And I still don't get it. From what I've learned, the nucleus of an atom is a theoretical model which can make consistent and accurate predictions, but which no one has ever seen. How do you handle, or manipulate physically, something like that?

SaulC said:
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't necessarily making the distinction between a charged particle and a neutral atom, I was rather wondering how you could "handle" something like that. And I still don't get it. From what I've learned, the nucleus of an atom is a theoretical model which can make consistent and accurate predictions, but which no one has ever seen. How do you handle, or manipulate physically, something like that?

Who said that these are only "theoretical model"? Where do you get these impressions from? I can shoot at you alpha particles (which are helium nuclei) and considered to be a form of radiation. When you end up with cancer, do you think this is purely "theoretical"?

Note that "seeing" with your eyes is a very POOR way to indicate something that is "real". Your eyes not only have a finite resolution, but also have a very finite range of detection in the EM spectrum. There are way better way to detect something that using your eyes.

Zz.

Thank you for your time.

FAQ: Handling Particles: A Non-Physicist's Query

1. What are particles?

Particles are tiny, subatomic units that make up all matter in the universe. They can be atoms, molecules, and even smaller particles like protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. Why is handling particles important?

Handling particles is important for a variety of reasons. For scientists, understanding how particles interact and behave is crucial for studying the physical world and developing new technologies. In industries like pharmaceuticals and cosmetics, carefully handling particles is necessary for creating safe and effective products. Additionally, handling particles is important in environmental science to study pollution and its effects.

3. How are particles handled in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, particles are handled using specialized equipment and techniques. This can include using instruments like microscopes and centrifuges to observe and separate particles, as well as using protective gear and protocols to ensure the safety of researchers and the integrity of the experiment.

4. What are some challenges in handling particles?

One of the main challenges in handling particles is their size. Because particles are so tiny, it can be difficult to manipulate and control them without affecting their properties. Additionally, some particles may be hazardous to handle, requiring extra precautions and safety measures.

5. How can non-physicists improve their understanding of handling particles?

Non-physicists can improve their understanding of handling particles by reading reputable sources and attending workshops or lectures on the subject. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field and ask questions to deepen your understanding. Additionally, hands-on experience with handling particles in a controlled environment can also improve understanding.