Hanno Sahlmann video (how to view?)

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the videos of the conference at Perimeter are not available. Hanno Sahlmann's talk on page 3 of the catalog is interesting.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/activities/scientific/PI-WORK-2/

this site says that the videos of the talks from the conference at Perimeter (29-31 October) are available and gives links to click on
but apparently I do not have the right kind of viewer, or else they are not really availble.

Has anyone gotten the links to the conferenece videos to work?

there are four pages of talks in the catalog, just for that conference, and on page 3 there is one by Hanno Sahlmann that I am curious about.

anybody know what I need to view that, or any of the others?

Here is that 4-page catalog which has the hanno talk on page 3:
http://streamer.perimeterinstitute....aspx?cid=f8fb0405-e71a-4d04-a219-5080e1a8d535

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus, I could get most of them to work with Windows Media Player 10, but for the talk by Sahlmann, I could only get sound and slides.

Lonewolf said:
Marcus, I could get most of them to work with Windows Media Player 10, but for the talk by Sahlmann, I could only get sound and slides.

thanks for checking it out, Lonewolf.
my problem must be my lack of Media Player 10
sound and slides is a good format for me because I can
linger over slides and go back to them when I want, so
I would be quite happy if I could just get that version
of Sahlmann's talk.

His title, "String theory with LQG Methods", looked
interesting.

Last edited:
Marcus, did you ever get it to work? I just watched and listened to it, and it was interesting. He was a little hard to understand because of his accent, but he summarized Thiemann's paper and briefly considered the "central extension" objections, which he presented as differences in two different modes of quantization, and wound up asking if they could ever be brought together. For example strings on LQG backgrounds!

On a related note, you recall that Urs and others criticised Thiemann's string quantization on the basis that his use of group averaging was ambiguous, and there was (they said) no way to specify uniquely the state that the quantization would be based on. In his series of recent papers with B. Dittrich he acknowledges the ambiguity of group averaging and proposes to replace it with a new method called Direct Integral Decomposition (DID). I have been reading the first of these papers, gr-qc/0411138 over the holidays, and it appears to me that for the special case of a single constraint he has succeeded in removing the ambiguity. I mean to revisit some of his developments and then forge on to the next paper.

selfAdjoint said:
Marcus, did you ever get it to work? I just watched and listened to it, and it was interesting...

Glad to hear from you!
No, i never did get any of those files to play. I will ask my son next opportunity and see if there is something I can do about it.

Hanno seems like a good egg. maybe he will write a paper about the loop-string business.

Related to Hanno Sahlmann video (how to view?)

1. How can I view Hanno Sahlmann's video?

To view Hanno Sahlmann's video, you can visit his website or social media channels. You may also be able to find the video on popular video hosting platforms such as YouTube or Vimeo.

2. Is the video available for free?

It depends on the platform where you are viewing the video. Some platforms may offer the video for free, while others may require a subscription or rental fee. Hanno Sahlmann's website may also have information about the cost of viewing the video.

3. Can I download the video?

This also depends on the platform where you are viewing the video. Some platforms may allow you to download the video for offline viewing, while others may not have this option available. Hanno Sahlmann's website or social media channels may have more information about downloading the video.

4. How long is the video?

The length of the video may vary, but on average, Hanno Sahlmann's videos are around 10-15 minutes long. However, some videos may be shorter or longer depending on the topic being discussed.

5. Can I share the video with others?

Yes, you can share Hanno Sahlmann's video with others. Most video hosting platforms have a share or embed option that allows you to share the video on social media or websites. However, be sure to respect any copyright or usage restrictions that may apply to the video.