Hanny's Voorwerp imaged by Hubble.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hubble
In summary, a Dutch schoolteacher scanning SDSS images for Galaxy Zoo discovered a strange object known as Hanny's Voorwerp. It has recently received attention and further study, sparking interest in the astronomy community.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am so glad you posted this due to i have not seen or heard of this yet and i am always interested in seeing and hearing of new things found in our universe._______________
kinds of cats|types of cats

Related to Hanny's Voorwerp imaged by Hubble.

1. What is Hanny's Voorwerp?

Hanny's Voorwerp is a large green cloud of gas located near a spiral galaxy called IC 2497. It was discovered by a Dutch schoolteacher named Hanny van Arkel in 2007 through the Galaxy Zoo project.

2. Why is Hanny's Voorwerp important?

Hanny's Voorwerp is important because it is one of the first known examples of a quasar light echo. It is also providing scientists with valuable information about the history of the galaxy IC 2497 and the activity of its supermassive black hole.

3. How was Hanny's Voorwerp imaged by Hubble?

Hanny's Voorwerp was imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope using its Advanced Camera for Surveys and the Wide Field Camera 3. The multiple images were then combined to create a detailed composite image.

4. What is the significance of the green color in Hanny's Voorwerp?

The green color in Hanny's Voorwerp is due to the presence of glowing oxygen gas. This gas is being illuminated by the intense radiation from the nearby quasar, causing it to emit a green light.

5. What can we learn from studying Hanny's Voorwerp?

Studying Hanny's Voorwerp can help us understand the relationship between galaxies and their supermassive black holes, as well as the impact of these black holes on their surrounding environments. It can also provide insights into the evolution of galaxies and the formation of structures in the universe.

Back