Hardboiled Egg Tips for Perfect Deviled Eggs

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: Sounds simple! Is a wife sold in the dairy aisle or household goods section?Wives are not available for sale.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I hardboiled some eggs tonight for my delicious DEVILED EGGS :D :D :D and I was wondering something in regards to the hard boiled eggs part.

The first time I made them, I put the eggs into a pot with tap water and turned the burner on and got it to boil. When I cut open the eggs, the yolks seemed to have stayed together and seemed to have that green outside you typically see.

Today when I made them, I boiled the water first and THEN put the eggs in. When I took those out and cut them open, the yolks were completely yellow (no green outer part) and didn't stay together very well.

Does anyone know exactly what's going on? How do I get it so that they stay together (easier to extract the yolk for making the filling in this case)?

Man I love my questions. DISCUSS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengy,

I don't like or prepare deviled eggs, but may be able to help answer other questions in the egg regime. :biggrin:

Rhody...

I would like to suggest you to experiment few more times and in few more ways and draw your own clear conclusion and then share here for everyone's benefit. :)

Thats exactly what I was thinking. GO SCIENCE.

Does this help?
http://www.chow.com/food-news/54897/why-do-hard-boiled-eggs-turn-green/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pff but the green makes it easier to take out :(. Sounds harmless though, guess i need to cook them a bit longer.

Man, cooking isn't easy. I wonder how women do it. *hides*

The green/grey is due to how they are heated up and cooled down.

Put them in boiling water, boil until hard then run them (or place them) in very cold water so they cool down quickly.

It's stops the cooking process, and you don't get the grey ring around the yolk.

Pengwuino said:
Pff but the green makes it easier to take out :(. Sounds harmless though, guess i need to cook them a bit longer.

Man, cooking isn't easy. I wonder how women do it. *hides*
Oooh! I won't tell my wife, if you behave though.

Put the eggs in a heavy-bottomed pan in cold water, and brings the water to a boil. When the water is boiling, take the pot off the heat and let it sit on the stove-top (lidded) for 10 minutes. Drain the water and put in cold water and let the eggs sit until they are cool enough to handle. Peel, slice, scoop, and make those deviled eggs. When my wife is tied up with something else, I hard-boil the eggs, but I always let her make the filling. She's got a good touch for that.

Pengwuino said:
Man, cooking isn't easy. I wonder how women do it.
Beats me, but that's how I cook eggs.

1. Ask wife to cook eggs.
2. Watch TV and wait till she calls you.

This recipe is very delicious.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Beats me, but that's how I cook eggs.

1. Ask wife to cook eggs.
2. Watch TV and wait till she calls you.

This recipe is very delicious.

Sounds simple! Is a wife sold in the dairy aisle or household goods section?

There's something really disturbing about a bird eating boiled eggs...:eek:

Pengwuino said:
Sounds simple! Is a wife sold in the dairy aisle or household goods section?
Wives are not available for sale. They are lease-only and can come with some pretty heavy penalties and extra charges.

How serendipidous, this subject (eggs) just came up at work, I burned myself last night, forearm, 1st degree bordering on 2nd degree. A kind soul forwarded this to me. Egg whites treat burns:
Keep in mind this treatment of burns which is included in teaching beginner firemen this method. First aid consists to spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced and stops burning the layers of skin. Then, spread egg whites on the affected are.
One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of the pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg white from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.
She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen and continued at least once an hour to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white. By afternoon she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. 10 days later, no trace was left at all and her skin had regained its normal color. The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.

Rhody...

P.S. My burn is now just a small red mark, shrinking on one arm, no blister. If this happens again, I will try the recommended treatment and report back, scientifically of course on how effective it is. I like pengy's threads, they are always so wild and wooly, although I wonder at times how he escapes Evo's BAN GUN. Maybe because we know deep down, it is all tongue and cheek. It is all tongue and cheek, isn't it Pengy ?

Last edited:
rhody said:
How serendipidous, this subject (eggs) just came up at work, I burned myself last night, forearm, 1st degree bordering on 2nd degree. A kind soul forwarded this to me. Egg whites treat burns:

Rhody...

P.S. My burn is now just a small red mark, shrinking on one arm, no blister. If this happens again, I will try the recommended treatment and report back, scientifically of course on the how effective it is.
Penguin eggs are especially effective, I hear. :devil:

turbo-1 said:
Penguin eggs are especially effective, I hear. :devil:
Score one for Turbo, what say you, my fine flippered friend...

Rhody... :biggrin:

Turbo's method is trhe preferred method for cooking perfect hard boiled eggs.

I don't know why, but ever since I moved to Kansas, I have had a hell of a time getting the shells off without destroying the egg.

My mother always put a good deal of salt in the water when she boiled eggs. I always thought it was a superstition, but did it anyway. But I stopped doing it around the same time I moved here. so the other day I added salt to the water before I boiled the eggs and...the shells just slipped off.

I have found hundreds of sites that swear by the salt water method.

Add enough salt to make the water taste salty. This can make the eggs easier to peel because, as mentioned earlier, the proteins coagulate and firm up, making the white easier to separate from the shell.

See step 3

http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Boil-an-Egg

Does anyone know if there is really any scientific merit to this? Some sites claim it's the effect on the boiling that does the trick.

Hmm, I think they are easier to peel if the egg-white is cooked longer making it coagulate more and firm up.
Adding salt would increase the temperature...

I like Serena said:
Hmm, I think they are easier to peel if the egg-white is cooked longer making it coagulate more and firm up.
Adding salt would increase the temperature...
Yeah, my 45 minute eggs may be green but they peel very easily.

Evo said:
Turbo's method is trhe preferred method for cooking perfect hard boiled eggs.

I don't know why, but ever since I moved to Kansas, I have had a hell of a time getting the shells off without destroying the egg.

My mother always put a good deal of salt in the water when she boiled eggs. I always thought it was a superstition, but did it anyway. But I stopped doing it around the same time I moved here. so the other day I added salt to the water before I boiled the eggs and...the shells just slipped off.

I have found hundreds of sites that swear by the salt water method.

See step 3

http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Boil-an-Egg

Does anyone know if there is really any scientific merit to this? Some sites claim it's the effect on the boiling that does the trick.
Salt raises the boiling temperature, so it's possible that you may get better results that way. We use tap-water, boil, then a ten-minute soak before introducing cold water to the pot. It always works.

Evo said:
Yeah, my 45 minute eggs may be green but they peel very easily.

:)
To be more specific, the egg would cook faster and especially the outside of the egg that is heated first.
This also means that the chance on a green egg becomes less (at least if you cook them less than 45 minutes).

so the green actually represents oxidation?

Proton Soup said:
so the green actually represents oxidation?

Not in a box.
Not with a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not eat them
here or there.
I would not eat them anywhere.
I would not eat green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

FAQ: Hardboiled Egg Tips for Perfect Deviled Eggs

1. What are the best methods for boiling eggs for deviled eggs?

The best method for boiling eggs for deviled eggs is to place the eggs in a pot and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and let the eggs simmer for 10-12 minutes. Once done, drain the eggs and immediately place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and make them easier to peel.

2. How do I prevent the shells from sticking to the eggs?

To prevent the shells from sticking to the eggs, make sure to use older eggs as they are easier to peel. After boiling, place the eggs in an ice bath and let them cool completely before peeling. You can also gently tap the eggs on a hard surface to create small cracks all around the shell before peeling.

3. What are some creative ways to spice up deviled eggs?

There are many ways to spice up deviled eggs, such as adding different types of mustard, herbs, or spices to the filling. You can also top the eggs with bacon crumbles, diced avocado, or pickled jalapenos for added flavor and texture.

4. Can I make deviled eggs ahead of time?

Yes, you can make deviled eggs ahead of time. After boiling and peeling the eggs, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The filling can also be made ahead of time and stored in a separate container. When ready to serve, simply fill the eggs with the prepared filling and enjoy!

5. How can I make deviled eggs healthier?

To make deviled eggs healthier, you can use Greek yogurt or avocado instead of mayonnaise in the filling. You can also add in more vegetables, such as diced bell peppers or shredded carrots, to increase the nutritional value. Additionally, using herbs and spices instead of salt can also make the deviled eggs healthier.

Back