Harmonic function in square -PDE

In summary, the problem asks to find the harmonic function in a given square with specific boundary conditions. The solution involves solving the problem in two parts, with different boundary conditions. In the first part, the solution is an infinite sum of terms involving the trigonometric functions cosh and sin. In the second part, the solution involves an eigenvalue of 0 and the eigenfunctions are constant and cosh. The difference in the starting value of n in the two parts is because in the first part, there is no solution for n=0, while in the second part, there is a solution for n=0.
Dassinia
Hello, I have the solution of a problem but there's something I don't understand

Homework Statement

Find the harmonic function in the square {0<x<1, 0<y<1} with the boundary conditions
u(x,0)=x
u(x,1)=0
ux(0,y)=0
ux(1,y)=y²t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part1:[/B]
We first solve the problem in the square with BC
u(x,0)=0 ; u(x,1)=0 ; ux(0,y)=0 ; ux(1,y)=y²

The solution is
u(x,y)= ∑ An cosh(nπx) sin(nπy) for n=1,2,...

Part2:
Then solving the problem in the square with BC
u1(x,0)=x ; u(x,1)=0 ; ux(0,y)=0 ; ux(1,y)=0

By separation of variable we solve
X''=-λX with X'(0)=X'(1)=0
Here the solution says that λ=(nπ)² n≥0 with eigenfunctions Xo=constant and Xn=cos(nπx) for n>0

and Y''=λY
For λ=0, we get Y''=0, solving and applying BC Yo(y)=A(y-1)
And for n=1,2,... Yn(y)=A(cosh(nπy)-cothan(nπy)*sinh(nπy))
u2(x,y)=Ao(y-1)+ΣAn (cosh(nπy)-cothan(nπy)*sinh(nπy))*cos(nπx)

What I don't understant, why in part 1, n starts at 1 and not 0 ?
And why in part 2 it starts at n=0, I understand that the sum is not defined for n=0 (coth(0)=oo) but how can I know the values that take n when i solve for the functions X and Y ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:
Hello, I have the solution of a problem but there's something I don't understand

Homework Statement

Find the harmonic function in the square {0<x<1, 0<y<1} with the boundary conditions
u(x,0)=x
u(x,1)=0
ux(0,y)=0
ux(1,y)=y²t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part1:[/B]
We first solve the problem in the square with BC
u(x,0)=0 ; u(x,1)=0 ; ux(0,y)=0 ; ux(1,y)=y²

The solution is
u(x,y)= ∑ An cosh(nπx) sin(nπy) for n=1,2,...

Part2:
Then solving the problem in the square with BC
u1(x,0)=x ; u(x,1)=0 ; ux(0,y)=0 ; ux(1,y)=0

By separation of variable we solve
X''=-λX with X'(0)=X'(1)=0
Here the solution says that λ=(nπ)² n≥0 with eigenfunctions Xo=constant and Xn=cos(nπx) for n>0

and Y''=λY
For λ=0, we get Y''=0, solving and applying BC Yo(y)=A(y-1)
And for n=1,2,... Yn(y)=A(cosh(nπy)-cothan(nπy)*sinh(nπy))
u2(x,y)=Ao(y-1)+ΣAn (cosh(nπy)-cothan(nπy)*sinh(nπy))*cos(nπx)

And why in part 2 it starts at n=0, I understand that the sum is not defined for n=0 (coth(0)=oo) but how can I know the values that take n when i solve for the functions X and Y ?

Thanks

In part 2 you have an eigenvalue ##\lambda = 0## with eigenfunctions ##X_0 = 1## and ##Y_0 = y-1##. So your expansion would be$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_nX_n(x)Y_n(y) = c_0(y-1) + \sum_{n=1}^\infty c_n(...)$$I didn't work through part 1 but my guess is that you don't have an eigenvalue ##\lambda = 0##.

As an aside, you might find it instructive working the ##Y## equation to assume a form ##Y = C\sinh(n\pi y) + D\sinh(n\pi(1-y))## instead of the ##\{\sinh ,\cosh\}## pair.

The solution of [itex]Y'' = 0[/itex] which satisfies [itex]Y(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]Y(1) = 0[/itex] is [itex]Y(y) = 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
The solution of [itex]Y'' = 0[/itex] which satisfies [itex]Y(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]Y(1) = 0[/itex] is [itex]Y(y) = 0[/itex].
I get it, thank you !

Related to Harmonic function in square -PDE

What is a harmonic function in the context of square PDE?

A harmonic function in square PDE refers to a function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which is a partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the behavior of a physical system. In this context, the function must also satisfy certain boundary conditions within a square-shaped region.

What are the applications of harmonic functions in square PDE?

Harmonic functions in square PDE have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model the flow of heat, electricity, and fluid within a square-shaped region. They also have applications in image processing and signal analysis.

How is a harmonic function in square PDE different from a harmonic function in other shapes?

The main difference between a harmonic function in square PDE and in other shapes is the specific boundary conditions that must be satisfied within the square-shaped region. These boundary conditions are unique to the square shape and must be taken into account when solving the PDE.

What are the techniques used to solve harmonic functions in square PDE?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve harmonic functions in square PDE, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and the method of images. These techniques involve breaking down the PDE into simpler equations and using mathematical manipulations to find a solution.

How are harmonic functions in square PDE related to other areas of mathematics?

Harmonic functions in square PDE are closely related to other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and potential theory. They also have connections to harmonic analysis and functional analysis. Understanding harmonic functions in square PDE requires a strong foundation in these mathematical fields.