Harmonic function on annulus and finding Laurent series

In summary, the homework questions involve finding a harmonic function on an annulus with specific boundary conditions, and determining the isolated singularities and residue of a given function. For the first question, the student needs to solve the Laplace equation with given boundary conditions. For the second question, the student is attempting to find the Laurent series of the given function by expanding about a specific point.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a)Find a harmonic function ##u## on the annulus ##1< |z| < 2## taking the value 2 in the circle ##|z|=2## and the value 1 in the circle ##|z|=1##.

b)Determine all the isolated singularities of the function ##f(z) = \frac{z+1}{z^3+4z^2+5z+2}## and determine the residue at each one.

Homework Equations

Harmonic function satisfies Laplaces' equation

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I think I have to solve the Laplace equation ##\partial^2_x u + \partial^2_y u = 0## where u=u(x,y) with the boundary conditions ##u|_{|z|=1} = 1## and ##u|_{|z|=2}=2##. ##\partial^2_x u = - \partial^2_y u ##. But how should I go about solving this?

b) First rewrite ##f(z) = 1/(z+1)(z+2)##. I am trying to get this by constructing the suitable Laurent series about ##z_o = -3/2##. In ##|z+3/2| < 1,## the function is analytic and so for |z+3/2| > 1, the function has a Laurent series. What is the easiest way to extract the Laurent series here? I am trying to rewrite f(z) in a form where on the demoninator I have 1-(1/(z+3/2)), so I can use the geometric series.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps for the second question it would be better to expand about a different point within |z+3/2|<1?

FAQ: Harmonic function on annulus and finding Laurent series

1. What is a harmonic function on an annulus?

A harmonic function on an annulus is a function that satisfies Laplace's equation in the region between two concentric circles. It is a continuous and smooth function that can be described as the sum of a radial component and an angular component.

2. How is a harmonic function on an annulus different from a harmonic function on a disk?

A harmonic function on an annulus is different from a harmonic function on a disk in that it is defined in a region between two concentric circles, while a harmonic function on a disk is defined within a single circle. This difference in domain also affects the boundary conditions and the resulting solutions.

3. How can I find the Laurent series of a harmonic function on an annulus?

To find the Laurent series of a harmonic function on an annulus, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves expressing the function as a product of two simpler functions, one depending only on the radial coordinate and the other only on the angular coordinate. The Laurent series of each component can then be found separately and multiplied together to obtain the Laurent series of the original function.

4. Why is it important to find the Laurent series of a harmonic function on an annulus?

The Laurent series of a harmonic function on an annulus is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function near its singularities, which are located at the two boundaries of the annulus. This series can also be used to approximate the function and make predictions about its behavior in the region between the two circles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of harmonic functions on annuli?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of harmonic functions on annuli. One example is in electrostatics, where the potential function in the region between two concentric conductors is a harmonic function. This concept is also used in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and other areas of physics and engineering.