Harmonic motion whose damping is not related to velocity

In summary: This will help you find a solution for x(t) using the equation x(t) = Acos(wt). The smallest value of x that the mass reaches at the end of the first half cycle can be found by setting the cosine function equal to -1.
fdsadsfa

Homework Statement

A block of mass m rests on a horizontal table and is attached to a spring of force constant k. The coefficient of friction between the block and the table is mu. For this problem we will assume that the coefficients of kinetic and static friction are equal. Let the equilibrium position of the mass be x = 0. The mass is moved to the position x = +A, stretching the spring, and then released.

1 Apply Newton's 2nd law to the block to obtain an equation for its acceleration for the first half cycle of its motion, i.e. the part of its motion where it moves from x = +A to x < 0 and (momentarily) stops. Show that the resulting equation can be written d^2x'/dt^2 = -omega2 * x', where x' = x - x0 and x0 = mu*m*g/k. Write the expression for position of the block, x(t), for the first half cycle (be sure to express omega, the angular frequency, in terms of the constants given in the problem statement). What is the smallest value of x that the mass reaches at the end of this first half cycle?

2 Repeat the above for the second half cycle, i.e. wherein the block moves from its maximum negative position to its (new) maximum positive position. First show that the differential equation for the block's acceleration can be written d^2x''/dt^2 = -omega2*x'' where this time x'' = x + x0. Next, match the amplitude for the beginning of this half cycle with the amplitude at the end of the last one. Write the expression for the position of the block, x(t), for the second half cycle.

3 Make a graph of the motion of the block for the first 5 half cycles of the motion in the case where A = 10.5*x0. Plot the position of the block normalized to x0 as a function of the fractional period, T = 2*Pi/omega (i.e. plot x(t)/x0 vs t/T).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a half way down to the problem 1., i.e., i got an equation for d^x/dt^2
which is eqaul to -k/m(x-(mu*m*g)/k).
But I don't really get how to find a generic equation for position x(t).
If it were a mere simple harmonic motion, it might have been easy; x(t) = Acos(wt).
However, with a daming factor (mu*m*g)/k, I don't see any way to figure out a formula for position x(t)...
I'll be looking forward to your suggestions or ideas on this problem. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
fdsadsfa said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m rests on a horizontal table and is attached to a spring of force constant k. The coefficient of friction between the block and the table is mu. For this problem we will assume that the coefficients of kinetic and static friction are equal. Let the equilibrium position of the mass be x = 0. The mass is moved to the position x = +A, stretching the spring, and then released.

1 Apply Newton's 2nd law to the block to obtain an equation for its acceleration for the first half cycle of its motion, i.e. the part of its motion where it moves from x = +A to x < 0 and (momentarily) stops. Show that the resulting equation can be written d^2x'/dt^2 = -omega2 * x', where x' = x - x0 and x0 = mu*m*g/k. Write the expression for position of the block, x(t), for the first half cycle (be sure to express omega, the angular frequency, in terms of the constants given in the problem statement). What is the smallest value of x that the mass reaches at the end of this first half cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a half way down to the problem 1., i.e., i got an equation for d^x/dt^2
which is eqaul to -k/m(x-(mu*m*g)/k).
But I don't really get how to find a generic equation for position x(t).
If it were a mere simple harmonic motion, it might have been easy; x(t) = Acos(wt).
However, with a daming factor (mu*m*g)/k, I don't see any way to figure out a formula for position x(t)...
I'll be looking forward to your suggestions or ideas on this problem. Thank you!

How about rewriting your equation for d^x/dt^2 in terms of x', rather than x, as suggested in the problem statement?

The equation for position x(t) can be solved by using the general solution for a damped harmonic oscillator, which is given by:

x(t) = Ae^(-beta*t)cos(omega*t + phi)

where A is the amplitude, beta is the damping coefficient, omega is the angular frequency, and phi is the phase angle. In this case, we can rewrite the equation as:

x(t) = Ae^(-mu*m*g*t/k)cos(omega*t + phi)

To find the values of A and phi, we can use the initial conditions given in the problem. At t = 0, x = A, so we have:

A = Ae^(0)cos(phi)

which gives us A = A. And at t = 0, dx/dt = 0, so we have:

0 = -A*mu*m*g/k*sin(phi)

which gives us phi = 0.

Therefore, the equation for position x(t) becomes:

x(t) = Ae^(-mu*m*g*t/k)cos(omega*t)

To find the smallest value of x, we can set the derivative of x(t) with respect to t equal to 0. This will give us the point where the block momentarily stops before moving in the opposite direction. So we have:

dx/dt = -A*(mu*m*g/k)*e^(-mu*m*g*t/k)*sin(omega*t) = 0

which gives us sin(omega*t) = 0, or omega*t = n*pi, where n is an integer. The smallest value of x will occur at the first time this happens, so we have:

omega*t = pi

and since we know that omega = sqrt(k/m), we can plug this in to get:

sqrt(k/m)*t = pi

and solving for t, we get:

t = pi*sqrt(m/k)

Substituting this value of t back into the equation for x(t), we get:

x(t) = Ae^(-mu*m*g*pi/k)cos(omega*t)

and since e^(-mu*m*g*pi/k) will be a constant, we can rewrite this as:

x(t) = A'cos(omega*t)

where A' is just a different constant. This shows that the smallest value of x will occur when cos(omega*t) is equal to -1, or when omega*t = (2n + 1

Related to Harmonic motion whose damping is not related to velocity

1. What is harmonic motion with damping not related to velocity?

Harmonic motion with damping not related to velocity refers to a type of motion in which the damping force is not directly proportional to the velocity of the object. In other words, the damping force does not increase or decrease as the velocity of the object increases or decreases.

2. How does damping affect harmonic motion?

Damping affects harmonic motion by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations over time. This is because the damping force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, causing the object to lose energy and slow down.

3. What are some examples of harmonic motion with non-velocity-related damping?

Some examples of harmonic motion with non-velocity-related damping include a pendulum with air resistance, a mass-spring system with friction, and a swinging door with a doorstop.

4. How is the behavior of a system with non-velocity-related damping different from one with velocity-related damping?

A system with non-velocity-related damping will have a constant damping force, regardless of the velocity of the object. This results in a slower decrease in amplitude compared to a system with velocity-related damping, where the damping force increases as the velocity increases, causing a quicker decrease in amplitude.

5. Can harmonic motion with damping not related to velocity be used in real-world applications?

Yes, harmonic motion with damping not related to velocity can be used in real-world applications. For example, it can be used in shock absorbers for vehicles, where the damping force is constant regardless of the velocity of the vehicle.