Harmonic oscillator in electric field

In summary, the energy of an electron in potential can be described as ##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx##. The energies of eigenstates of an electron in potential can be calculated using ##<ex>##.
skrat

Homework Statement

Potential energy of electron in harmonic potential can be described as ##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx##, where E is electric field that has no gradient.
What are the energies of eigenstates of an electron in potential ##V(x)##? Also calculate ##<ex>##.

HINT: Use ##(x-a)^2=x^2-2ax+a^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sorry, to say, but I have no idea how start here.

I know that if there were no electric field, the energies would be ##E_n=\hbar \omega (n+1/2)##. Since there is Electric field, I assume I have to solve ##\hat{H}\psi =E\psi ## for ##\hat{H}=\hat{T}+\hat{V}##... but, how on Earth can i do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
The hint is to "complete the square" in the expression ##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx##.
That is, can you write it as ##V(x) = b(x-a)^2 - c## for certain constants ##a##, ##b## and ##c##?

Ok, I got that but I can't see how this makes my life any easier..

##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE}{\sqrt{2m}\omega _0})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

skrat said:
Ok, I got that but I can't see how this makes my life any easier..

##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE}{\sqrt{2m}\omega _0})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

Try to factor out something inside the parentheses so that the x has a coefficient of 1 inside the parentheses. Then define a new variable in terms of x and solve the problem in the new variable.

Hmm,

##V(x)=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE}{\sqrt{2m}\omega _0})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

##V(x)=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE\sqrt{m}\omega_0}{\sqrt{2}m\omega _0^2})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}## and finally

##V(x)=(\frac{m}{2})^{1/4}\omega_0^{1/2}(x-\frac{eE}{m\omega _0^2})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

now let's say ##u=x-\frac{eE}{m\omega _0^2}## than ##V(u)=(\frac{m}{2}\omega_0^2)^{1/4}u^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

Now ##\hat{H}\psi = E_n \psi ##

##\hat{V}\psi=((\frac{m}{2}\omega_0^2)^{1/4}\hat{u}^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2})\psi =E_n \psi##

Are the energies of eigenstates than ##W_n=(\hbar \omega(n+1/2)+\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2})(\frac{m}{2}\omega_0^2)^{-1/4}##?

Related to Harmonic oscillator in electric field

1. What is a harmonic oscillator in an electric field?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. When placed in an electric field, the oscillator experiences a force due to the interaction between the electric field and the charged particles in the oscillator.

2. How does an electric field affect a harmonic oscillator?

The electric field can either increase or decrease the amplitude of the oscillations depending on the direction and strength of the field. It can also change the equilibrium position of the oscillator, resulting in a shift in the center of the oscillations.

3. What is the equation for a harmonic oscillator in an electric field?

The equation for a harmonic oscillator in an electric field is given by: m(d^2x/dt^2) + kx = qE, where m is the mass of the oscillator, x is the displacement from equilibrium, k is the spring constant, q is the charge of the oscillator, and E is the electric field strength.

4. How does the frequency of a harmonic oscillator change in an electric field?

The frequency of a harmonic oscillator in an electric field is given by: f = 1/(2π) * √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the oscillator. Therefore, the frequency remains constant in an electric field as long as the mass and spring constant do not change.

5. What are some real-world applications of a harmonic oscillator in an electric field?

Harmonic oscillators in electric fields have various applications in physics, engineering, and technology. Some examples include electric circuits, lasers, and pendulum clocks, which all function using harmonic oscillations in an electric field. They are also used in sensors, such as accelerometers and seismometers, to measure vibrations and movements.

Back