Has anyone completed degrees without more math?

• Programs
  • Thread starter PhysixChick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, while more math isn't required for a bachelor's degree, it can be helpful in understanding abstract concepts and mathematical modeling in upper level courses. The different perspectives of mathematicians can also be useful in these disciplines. However, there are some science degrees, like geology, that may have a math requirement for first year courses.
PhysixChick
So I'm working on my bachelor's right now, junior at UC Berkeley. I've been wondering if people could share their experiences in completing their degrees without any further math (past differentials, linear, multi variable calc.). I know more math isn't required, and I've been under the impression that the math we would need would be taught along with the physics (so far, I haven't had an issue yet, but I just started my upper divs). I am currently taking upper division linear algebra, but I don't like proofs, nor do I find abstract math particularly interesting. Can anyone elaborate on their experiences without more math please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took math papers into my masters year so... but I do know people who did not take maths past their second year. The main difference is the mathematicians have a different take on how maths works which is useful for the more abstract disciplines.
In the upper levels, though, I found I would outstrip the math students in any kind of mathematical modelling. Probably because physics covers that informally much earlier on.

Likes PhysixChick and symbolipoint
I remember back when working through my BSC in geology at least a couple of 1st year papers were a requirement
my math abilities are dreadful :cry:

a math requirement is obviously more important for a science degree than non -sci onesDave

FAQ: Has anyone completed degrees without more math?

1. Can I complete a degree without taking more math courses?

Yes, it is possible to complete a degree without taking more math courses. Some degrees, such as liberal arts or social sciences, may have minimal math requirements. However, it is important to check with your specific degree program to see if any math courses are required.

2. Will not taking more math courses affect my future job opportunities?

It depends on your chosen career path. Some jobs may require a strong foundation in math, while others may not require it at all. It is important to research the job market and the specific requirements for your desired career to determine if not taking more math courses will have an impact.

3. How can I succeed in my degree without taking more math courses?

There are several ways to succeed in your degree without taking more math courses. You can consider taking alternative courses that fulfill the math requirement, such as statistics or computer science. Additionally, you can seek out tutoring or other resources to help you improve in math, or focus on excelling in your other courses to balance out your academic record.

4. Are there any benefits to completing a degree without taking more math courses?

Yes, there can be benefits to completing a degree without taking more math courses. It allows you to focus on your strengths and interests, and may also free up time and energy for other courses or extracurricular activities. It also shows adaptability and flexibility in your academic pursuits.

5. Is it common for people to complete degrees without taking more math courses?

It depends on the individual and their chosen degree program. Some people may choose to avoid math courses if it is not required for their degree, while others may struggle with math and choose to take alternative courses. It is important to focus on your own academic goals and not compare yourself to others in this regard.