Has Planck length been derived rigorously?

In summary: Assuming that the photon and black hole energies are scale-invariant (which they are not), this gives:E=Mc^2R=2G M/c^2This has been derived using mathematical rigor within standard quantum field theory.
muzukashi suginaiyo
ħello. Here is my question: Has the so-called "planck length" (~1.61622837 * 10^(-35) meters) been derived with mathematical rigor within standard quantum field theory? If so, I need help finding this proof. Any literature would be appreciated.

Also: If it has, then doesn't this imply a lowest delta-momentum, since momentum is the complex conjugate of length via Heisenberg Uncertainty principle?:

S(momentum) * S(location/"length") ≥ ħ/2

Likes edguy99
Physics news on Phys.org
muzukashi suginaiyo said:
Has the so-called "planck length" (~1.61622837 * 10^(-35) meters) been derived with mathematical rigor within standard quantum field theory?

The Planck length is just a particular combination of the physical constants ##G##, ##c##, and ##h##, that yields a quantity with units of length. It is not "derived" from anything.

doesn't this imply a lowest delta-momentum

Not within standard quantum field theory, no. There are speculative hypotheses about spacetime not being continuous but "quantized" at scales around the Planck length, but we have no way of testing such speculations; our experiments are many orders of magnitude less sensitive than they would need to be.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Would I be correct, then, if I were to say that the only measurable physical quantity known to be quantized is action itself? - Since Planck's constant is the lowest quanta of action.

This combining of the constants is pretty interesting to me. So if I throw the constants G, c, and h together in some way to produce a quantity, I can come up with a "planck-whatever"?

Would I be correct, then, if I were to say that the only measurable physical quantity known to be quantized is action itself?

No, certainly not. Energy and angular momentum are two observables that are quantized in many systems (e.g., electrons in atoms).

So if I throw the constants G, c, and h together in some way to produce a quantity, I can come up with a "planck-whatever"?

Sure. The Planck time is another common one.

Likes Stavros Kiri
So if I throw the constants G, c, and h together in some way to produce a quantity, I can come up with a "planck-whatever"?
PeterDonis said:
Sure. The Planck time is another common one.
For others, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_units

ħello.
:biggrin:

Likes DrewD, OmCheeto, Stavros Kiri and 1 other person
Also: If it has, then doesn't this imply a lowest delta-momentum, since momentum is the complex conjugate of length via Heisenberg Uncertainty principle?:
No, because the Planck length is not the minimum possible length. This misunderstanding is so common that we even have an Insights article about it: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/hand-wavy-discussion-planck-length/

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri
ħello.
ħi! and welcome to PF!

Nugatory said:
that we evem have
typo (..."even")

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
typo (..."even")
Fixed - thanks

ħello. Here is my question: Has the so-called "planck length" (~1.61622837 * 10^(-35) meters) been derived with mathematical rigor within standard quantum field theory? ...

My favorite explanation:

For every length, you can determine two energies, one for a photon (of that wavelength) and one for a black hole (of that Schwarzschild radius). At the Planck length, those two energies will be equal. At longer lengths, the black hole will be more energetic than the photon. At shorter lengths, the photon is more energetic than the black hole.

One can check it out using these three formulas:

E=Mc^2,

E=hc /lambda (photon energy)

R =2G M/c^2 (Schwarzschild radius for black hole)

Likes Stavros Kiri

Related to Has Planck length been derived rigorously?

What is Planck length?

Planck length is the unit of length that is considered to be the smallest measurable length in the universe. It is defined as the distance where the gravitational force between two particles equals the quantum mechanical force between them.

How was Planck length derived?

Planck length was derived by the German physicist Max Planck in 1899. He derived it by combining fundamental constants such as the speed of light, gravitational constant, and Planck's constant.

Why is Planck length considered important?

Planck length is considered important because it is the scale at which the effects of quantum gravity are believed to become significant. It is also used in theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity to explain the fundamental nature of space and time.

Has Planck length been rigorously derived?

The derivation of Planck length is based on theoretical models and has not been experimentally proven. However, it is widely accepted by the scientific community and is used in various theories and calculations.

Can Planck length be measured?

Due to its extremely small size, it is currently impossible to directly measure Planck length. However, scientists are working on developing new technologies and experiments to indirectly determine its value.