Hash Algorithm MD5 calculation

In summary: MD5 calculation. In summary, a message is appended with a 1 followed by enough 0s to make it 64-bits shy of multiples of 512-bit. The last 64-bits appended being the length of the original message. The four-word buffer, and four functions will be used, but I am not sure how and which bits to put in place. The calculation of the hash value is derived from the equation a = b + ((a + F(b,c,d) + X[k] + T[i]) <<< s).
mnms
Hi. I'm studying the cryptography MD5 calculation and have some trouble I'd like to seek help with. I am trying to comprehend the MD5 memo http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt" and have trouble understanding the calculation.

Here is what I comprehend so far. A message is appended with a 1 followed by enough 0s to make it 64-bits shy of multiples of 512-bit. The last 64-bits appended being the length of the original message. I know that a four-word buffer, and four functions will be used, but I am not sure how and which bits to put in place.

I'm hoping someone would be able to explain the calculation of the functions and how the hash value is derived. I'm not sure if this is possible, but say given a word, to be able to produce a hash value through calculation. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hi, since I'm not getting any replies, I thought I might narrow down my question in hope for some answers or directions.

From ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt,

Code:
The operation a = b + ((a + F(b,c,d) + X[k] + T[i]) <<< s)
I understand how to get most of the variables except s. The memo states the equation will rotate by s bit, but i do not know where is s derived from.

Code:
[ABCD  0  7  1]  [DABC  1 12  2]  [CDAB  2 17  3]  [BCDA  3 22  4]
[ABCD  4  7  5]  [DABC  5 12  6]  [CDAB  6 17  7]  [BCDA  7 22  8]
[ABCD  8  7  9]  [DABC  9 12 10]  [CDAB 10 17 11]  [BCDA 11 22 12]
[ABCD 12  7 13]  [DABC 13 12 14]  [CDAB 14 17 15]  [BCDA 15 22 16]
I also do not understand how are the numbers in these operation used. In relation to the previous question, one thing I do know is that s only uses the middle number of these operations, that is 7, 12, 17, 22.

Code:
word A: 01 23 45 67
word B: 89 ab cd ef
word C: fe dc ba 98
word D: 76 54 32 10
Another thing I'm also curious about, although not of much importance, is the representation of the buffer. Some sites reverses the register before calculation, for example word a will be 67 45 23 01. I would like to know if there is a reason behind this or just a preferred way of calculating.

I hope someone might be able to help me with these questions or point me a direction. Thank you.

Related to Hash Algorithm MD5 calculation

1. What is a hash algorithm?

A hash algorithm is a mathematical function that takes in an input (such as a file or message) and produces a unique fixed-length output, known as a hash value. The purpose of a hash algorithm is to create a digital fingerprint of the input, which can be used for various purposes such as data integrity checks and password verification.

2. What is the MD5 hash algorithm?

The MD5 hash algorithm is a widely used cryptographic hashing function that produces a 128-bit hash value. It was developed by Ronald Rivest in 1991 and is commonly used for data integrity checks and password hashing. However, it has been found to have security vulnerabilities and is no longer recommended for sensitive applications.

3. How is MD5 calculation performed?

The MD5 calculation process involves breaking up the input into 512-bit chunks, padding the input to make it a multiple of 512 bits, and then applying a series of logical and arithmetic operations to each chunk. The final output is a 128-bit hash value that is unique to the input.

4. What are the potential weaknesses of MD5 calculation?

MD5 has been found to have potential vulnerabilities, including collisions (when two different inputs produce the same hash value) and preimage attacks (when someone can find an input that produces a specific hash value). These weaknesses make it unsuitable for sensitive applications such as password hashing.

5. Are there any alternatives to MD5 calculation?

Yes, there are several alternatives to MD5 calculation, such as SHA-256, SHA-512, and bcrypt. These algorithms are more secure and are recommended for sensitive applications. It is important to regularly update and review the security of the chosen hash algorithm to ensure the protection of sensitive data.