Have an Integral that I can't seem to solve

• Thread starter maverick_76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult integral in a quantum mechanics class. The integral is shown and the asker has tried to solve it using tables and Wolfram, but with no success. The responder suggests that it is a standard integral in complex analysis and can be easily solved using residue theory. However, if the asker is not familiar with that, it may be difficult to solve. The asker is surprised that the professor would assign such a problem without covering residue theory in class. The responder acknowledges that residue theory is usually covered by the second year of undergraduate studies.
maverick_76
So I am working on a problem for my quantum mechanics class and I cannot seem to figure out how to solve this integral. I have looked up tables and entered it into Wolfram and it doesn't give me anything that I can work with. The integral is as follows:∫ 2aπ(cos(ak)+1)
(a^2 k^2- π^2)^2

And the bounds are from -∞ to ∞
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the crappy equation layout, I'm not sure how to use LaTeX.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this integral perhaps:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{2aπ\; (cos(ak)+1)}{(a^2k^2-π^2)^2}dk$$ ?

yes, thak you!

It is a pretty standard integral in complex analysis, and it is quite easy if you knoe how to compute integrals using residuies. If you know residues, that is a standard excersize, but if you do not no complex analysis I do not know any "elementary" ways to compute it.

Yeah I was told that by the TA for the class that I should look up residue theory, never heard of it until today. Kinda surprised that our professor would put a problem that required that considering every math class I've taken has never touched the subject. Thanks for the input!

maverick_76 said:
Yeah I was told that by the TA for the class that I should look up residue theory, never heard of it until today. Kinda surprised that our professor would put a problem that required that considering every math class I've taken has never touched the subject. Thanks for the input!
Residue theory is one of the standard topics covered in calculus of complex variables. It's usually something one encounters by at least second year of undergrad ...

Related to Have an Integral that I can't seem to solve

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is it difficult to solve some integrals?

Some integrals can be difficult to solve because they involve complex functions or do not have a closed-form solution. This means that there is no simple algebraic expression that can be used to find the solution.

3. What are some strategies for solving difficult integrals?

Some strategies for solving difficult integrals include using integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of integration techniques and practice solving different types of integrals.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online and handheld calculators that can solve integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving integrals in order to use these calculators effectively.

5. Is there a way to check if my solution to an integral is correct?

Yes, you can check your solution by differentiating it. If the result is the original function that you were integrating, then your solution is correct. You can also use online tools or ask a math tutor for assistance in checking your solution.