Have i made it right determining the heights?

• Thread starter trina1990
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed problem no. 4 and the steps taken to solve it using the software Stellarium. It was noted that further clarification and verification is needed in the solution, particularly regarding the latitude and time used for the summer solstice, the assumption about the height of the sun on the winter solstice, and a more detailed explanation of the calculations. Additional instructions and assistance were also offered to help with the problem-solving process.
trina1990
please help me solve out the sort of problem no:4...

i tried to solve it running " stellarium" & found that for that latitude on "summer solstice" the sun reaches altitude of approximately 70 degree & i used

'Tan 20=x/3 & derived x=1.09m

consequently for winter solstice sun reaches the altitude of approximately 20 degree

then "tan 20=h1/4.5
=1.63 , so the height of the window should be (3-1.63)=1.37m

please someone verify my answers & if it's supposed to be wrong, give me some initial instructions to walk through the problem...
thanks..

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with problem no. 4. It seems like you have made some good progress in solving the problem using the software Stellarium. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified and verified in your solution.

Firstly, it is important to note that the altitude of the sun on the summer solstice will vary depending on the latitude. Therefore, it would be helpful to know the specific latitude that you used in your calculations. Additionally, it would be good to clarify whether you used the altitude of the sun at noon or at a specific time during the day.

Secondly, your calculation for the height of the window on the winter solstice seems to be based on the assumption that the height of the sun on the winter solstice is also 20 degrees. However, this may not be the case for all latitudes. It would be helpful to verify this assumption and make any necessary corrections to your solution.

Lastly, it would be beneficial to provide a more detailed explanation of the steps you took in your calculations. This can help to identify any potential errors and ensure that the solution is accurate.

I hope these initial instructions and clarifications will help you to further solve the problem. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck with your problem-solving!

FAQ: Have i made it right determining the heights?

What is the purpose of determining heights?

The purpose of determining heights is to measure and record the vertical distance of an object or location from a known reference point. This information is useful in a variety of fields, including engineering, construction, and land surveying.

What are the different methods for determining heights?

There are several methods for determining heights, including trigonometric leveling, barometric leveling, and GPS surveys. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific needs and conditions of the project.

How accurate are height measurements?

The accuracy of height measurements depends on the method used and the conditions of the measurement. Generally, trigonometric leveling and GPS surveys are more accurate than barometric leveling. It is important to consider the limitations and sources of error for each method when determining the accuracy of height measurements.

What factors can affect height measurements?

There are several factors that can affect height measurements, such as atmospheric conditions, instrument error, and human error. It is important to properly calibrate instruments and account for sources of error to obtain accurate height measurements.

How can I ensure I have made the correct height determination?

To ensure the accuracy of height measurements, it is important to follow proper measurement techniques and use appropriate methods and equipment. It is also helpful to cross-check measurements using multiple methods or repeating measurements to verify consistency.

Back