Have i made it right to determine this amounts regarding this question

• Thread starter trina1990
  • Start date
In summary, the Persian architecture has a structure called "Tabeshband" on top of south side windows to control sunlight in summer and winter. It saves about 20% of energy cost in modern architecture. To calculate the maximum width of the Tabeshband and maximum height of the window, one must ensure that no direct sunlight enters the room at noon during summer solstice and that the sunlight reaches the end of the room on the opposite lower corner side of the window during winter solstice at noon. Using the height and width of the room (3m and 4.50m), the maximum width of the Tabeshband is 1.637m and the maximum height of the window is 1.36m. The process to
trina1990
In a typical Persian architecture, on top of south side windows there is a
structure called "Tabeshband" (shader), which controls sunlight in summer and winter. In
summer when the Sun is high, Tabeshband prevents sunlight to enter rooms and keeps
inside cooler. In the modern architecture it is verified that the Tabeshband saves about 20%
of energy cost. Figure (1) shows a vertical section of this design at latitude of 36°. 0 N with
window and Tabeshband.

calculate the maximum width of the Tabeshband,
X, and maximum height of the window , H in such a way that:
i) No direct sunlight can enter to the room in the summer solstice at noon.
ii) The direct sunlight reaches the end of the room on the opposite lower corner side of the window(indicated by the point A in the
figure) in the winter solstice at noon.

provided that the height of the room is 3m & width is 4.50m?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
to solve it out i run the stellarium to determine the altitude of sun at summer solstice for that latitude & found it to be approximately 70 degree..then i applied
tan 20=X/3 & answered the X=1.637m

for height of the window i found out the altitude at window solstice to be 20 degree & i applied tan20=H1/4.5=1.63 then H=1.36

my question is if the process's to solve it was right & if there any other convenient process to solve it out?

here's a link for the original thread

Attachments

• ioaa2009theoreticalshortproblems.pdf
    146.4 KB · Views: 254

Related to Have i made it right to determine this amounts regarding this question

1. How do you determine the correct amounts for a question?

To determine the correct amounts for a question, a scientist would follow the scientific method. This involves identifying the problem or question, conducting background research, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. The correct amounts would be determined through careful observation, measurement, and analysis.

2. What factors are considered when determining the correct amounts for a question?

When determining the correct amounts for a question, a scientist would consider various factors such as the purpose of the question, the available resources, the type of data being collected, and the limitations of the experiment. They would also take into account any potential variables or external factors that could affect the results.

3. How do you ensure accuracy when determining the correct amounts for a question?

To ensure accuracy, a scientist would use reliable and precise measurement tools, follow proper experimental procedures, and repeat experiments multiple times to minimize errors. They would also use statistical analysis to evaluate the data and determine the level of confidence in the results.

4. What if the determined amounts for a question are not accurate?

If the determined amounts for a question are not accurate, a scientist would re-evaluate the experimental design and data analysis methods to identify potential sources of error. They may also revise their hypothesis or conduct further experiments to confirm or refute their findings.

5. Can the determined amounts for a question be subjective?

In some cases, the determined amounts for a question may be subjective, especially in fields such as social sciences where human behavior is being studied. However, scientists strive to minimize subjectivity by using standardized methods and ensuring that their interpretations are supported by data and evidence.