Have I proved W is a subspace of R3?

• Thread starter dajt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
But, again, since you've already proved closure under addition and scalar multiplication, it is easy to prove that 0 is in the set. 0+ 0= 0 so, if 0 is an element of the set, then it is closed under addition. And if 0 is in the set, then k(0)= 0 is in the set so it is closed under scalar multiplication.
dajt

Homework Statement

Let W = { (x, y, z) | x - 2y + z = 0 }

Is W a subspace of R3?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using another post here I tried the following to show W is closed under addition:

1. Let u = (x, y, z) and v = (i, j , k). u and v are both in W.
2. So, x - 2y + z = 0, and i - 2j + k = 0.
3. Then u + v = (x+i, y+j, z+k).
4. Does (x+i) - 2(y+j) + (z+k) = 0?

Now we're in the land of real numbers with no vectors, I can rearrange all the terms as I wish, so I'll try to reconstruct the original equations in (2).

(x+i) - 2(y+j) + (z+k) = 0
x + i -2y -2j + z + k = 0
(x -2y +z) +( i - 2j + k) = 0

From (2) we know both those groups = 0, so adding them together still gives 0, so u+v is closed under addition. I'm pretty sure we didn't do it this way in class, but it does seem to satisfy the condition of the set W.

Then to show it is closed under scalar multiplication I have:

1. Let u = (x, y, z) and k be a real scalar constant.
2. Is ku [tex]\in[/tex] W?
3. ku = (kx, ky, kz)
4. Does kx -2(ky) + kz = 0?

Dividing both sides by k gives x -2y + z = 0/k = 0. So ku [tex]\in[/tex] W, so scalar multiplication is closed.

So W is a subspace of R3.

Is anyone convinced by this proof? What have I missed?

Regards,
David Taylor.

Physics news on Phys.org
dajt said:

Homework Statement

Let W = { (x, y, z) | x - 2y + z = 0 }

Is W a subspace of R3?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using another post here I tried the following to show W is closed under addition:

1. Let u = (x, y, z) and v = (i, j , k). u and v are both in W.
2. So, x - 2y + z = 0, and i - 2j + k = 0.
3. Then u + v = (x+i, y+j, z+k).
4. Does (x+i) - 2(y+j) + (z+k) = 0?

Now we're in the land of real numbers with no vectors, I can rearrange all the terms as I wish, so I'll try to reconstruct the original equations in (2).

(x+i) - 2(y+j) + (z+k) = 0
x + i -2y -2j + z + k = 0
(x -2y +z) +( i - 2j + k) = 0

From (2) we know both those groups = 0, so adding them together still gives 0, so u+v is closed under addition. I'm pretty sure we didn't do it this way in class, but it does seem to satisfy the condition of the set W.
Yes that is perfectly correct. I'd be surprised if that was NOT how you did it in class.

Then to show it is closed under scalar multiplication I have:

1. Let u = (x, y, z) and k be a real scalar constant.
2. Is ku [tex]\in[/tex] W?
3. ku = (kx, ky, kz)
4. Does kx -2(ky) + kz = 0?

Dividing both sides by k gives x -2y + z = 0/k = 0. So ku [tex]\in[/tex] W, so scalar multiplication is closed.
there is no reason to divide by k- you don't want to show that x- 2y+ z= 0, you already know that. Instead, kx- 2ky+ kz= k(x- 2y+ z)= k(0)= 0.

So W is a subspace of R3.

Is anyone convinced by this proof? What have I missed?

Regards,
David Taylor.

You also may or may not have to show that W contains the zero vector. If you didn't have to in class, then don't worry about it.

HallsofIvy said:
... there is no reason to divide by k- you don't want to show that x- 2y+ z= 0, you already know that. Instead, kx- 2ky+ kz= k(x- 2y+ z)= k(0)= 0.

OK, thanks. I see your point that I just restated what is known. Is my answer valid and provides proof by showing you can ignore k, or doesn't it prove anything?

Regards,
David.

JThompson said:
You also may or may not have to show that W contains the zero vector. If you didn't have to in class, then don't worry about it.

Thanks. We only have to show closure under + and . We did cover that, but for some reason the lecturer isn't asking for it in the proof.

To show the zero vector is part of W, I could just show something like:

u = (0, 0, 0). 0 - 2(0) + 0 = 0, so u is an element of W. Is that right?

That would also mean any W where ax + by + cz != 0 can't have the zero vector in it, so isn't a subset or R3?

Regards,
David.

Essentially, yes. Every subspace has to satisfy some "homogenous" equation. You can think of "lines through the origin" and "planes through the origin" as one and two dimensional subspaces of \(\displaystyle R^3\). (x, y, z) such that ax+ by+ cz= a non-zero number would be a plane that does NOT contain the origin. Those are "linear manifolds" but not subspaces. Of course, that would also fail to be closed under addition or scalar multiplication. If ax+ by+ cz= p where p is not 0, then (x, y, z)+ (x', y', z') = (x+ x', y+ y', z+ z') where ax+ by+ cz= p and ax'+ by'+ cz'= p satifies a(x+ x')+ b(y+ y')+ c(z+ z')= (ax+ by+ cz)+ (ax'+ by'+ cz')= p+ p= 2p which is NOT p. Similarly, k(x, y, z)= (kx, ky, kz) satifies a(kx)+ b(ky)+ c(kz)= k(ax+ by+ cz)= kp, not p.

Actually, if you have already proved closure under addition and scalar multiplication, then for any v in the set, -v is also in the set so v+ (-v)= 0 is also in the set. What you really need to prove is that the is NOT EMPTY. But, often, the best way to do that is to show that 0 is in the set.

Related to Have I proved W is a subspace of R3?

1. What does it mean for W to be a subspace of R3?

A subspace of R3 is a subset of R3 that satisfies certain properties, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, if vectors from W are added or multiplied by a scalar, the resulting vector will still be in W.

2. How do I prove that W is a subspace of R3?

To prove that W is a subspace of R3, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions for a subspace: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. This can be done by showing that any vector in W can be written as a linear combination of vectors in W.

3. Can W be a subspace of R3 if it is not a plane or a line?

Yes, W can be a subspace of R3 even if it is not a plane or a line. As long as it satisfies the three conditions for a subspace, it can be any subset of R3.

4. What is the difference between a subspace and a span?

A subspace is a subset of R3 that satisfies certain properties, while a span is the set of all linear combinations of a given set of vectors. In other words, a subspace is a subset of R3, while a span is a set of vectors in R3.

5. Can W be a subspace of R3 if it contains more than three vectors?

Yes, W can still be a subspace of R3 even if it contains more than three vectors. The number of vectors does not determine if a subset is a subspace or not; it is the properties and conditions that the subset satisfies that determine its status as a subspace.