Have you heard about econophysics?

• Physics
  • Thread starter JorgeM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying Econophysics, a field that applies tools from physics to model and understand economic systems. While some argue that this may not necessarily be considered a branch of physics, others believe it falls under the study of complex systems. Links to further information on Econophysics are provided.
JorgeM
I'm studying physics engineering, and I would like to make a degree in Applied physics, but next to that step I would like to study Econophysics or something related to that area. I really like the area of computacional computing and economics so, I think it is going to be so good to try to propose some models using some of the math and physical intuition that one learns while we are in University.
Do you know if this is a serious part of the physics? Or is it to new area to know so much about it?
Thanks for your advise!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what that would entail. Economics is the study of financial exchanges between humans. I suppose you could try modeling economic systems using known physical systems and see what results you get -- that may be of some interest. I'm not sure I would necessarily classify that as a branch of physics per-se, because you're using the physics as an analogy. There is no underlying physical system to economics.

Dewgale said:
I don't really understand what that would entail. Economics is the study of financial exchanges between humans. I suppose you could try modeling economic systems using known physical systems and see what results you get -- that may be of some interest. I'm not sure I would necessarily classify that as a branch of physics per-se, because you're using the physics as an analogy. There is no underlying physical system to economics.
I suggest you Google Econophysics

I just did, and I'm hesitant to really classify it as physics. It's applying tools derived from physical systems on economic systems, which seems to me to be far less physics, and far more economics. Just because a physicist is approaching a problem using tools they got from physics, doesn't make the subject area necessarily physics. If I successfully applied statistical mechanical tools to election predictions, I wouldn't consider that some new branch of physics called "Politiphysics".

Dewgale said:
I just did, and I'm hesitant to really classify it as physics. It's applying tools derived from physical systems on economic systems, which seems to me to be far less physics, and far more economics. Just because a physicist is approaching a problem using tools they got from physics, doesn't make the subject area necessarily physics. If I successfully applied statistical mechanical tools to election predictions, I wouldn't consider that some new branch of physics called "Politiphysics".

The physicists who apply the methods and tools of statistical mechanics will disagree with you. I believe their counter-arguments are that they are not necessarily interested in just problems with economics (or in your hypothetical example, politics) but in the broader area of the study of complex systems. The physicists who specialize in complex systems apply techniques and methods offered by statistical mechanics and nonlinear physics to gain insights on broader structures that can find applications in both physical systems (e.g. molecular interactions) and human systems (e.g. economics, politics).

Likes JorgeM

FAQ: Have you heard about econophysics?

1. What is econophysics?

Econophysics is a field of research that applies concepts and methods from physics to study economic systems and financial markets. It aims to understand the behavior of these systems using mathematical and statistical models.

2. How is econophysics different from traditional economics?

Econophysics differs from traditional economics in its approach to studying economic systems. Traditional economics focuses on theoretical models and assumptions, while econophysics uses empirical data and mathematical models to analyze and understand real-world economic phenomena.

3. What are some examples of applications of econophysics?

Econophysics has been applied to a variety of economic systems, including stock markets, currency exchange rates, and income distribution. It has also been used to study complex systems such as social networks and traffic flow.

4. What are the benefits of using econophysics in economic research?

The use of econophysics in economic research allows for a more data-driven and quantitative approach to understanding economic systems. It also allows for the incorporation of concepts and tools from other fields, such as statistical physics and network theory, to gain new insights into economic phenomena.

5. What are some criticisms of econophysics?

Some criticisms of econophysics include its reliance on simplified models that may not accurately capture the complexities of real-world economic systems. There is also debate over the usefulness and applicability of some econophysics findings in practical economic decision-making.