Have you stayed at Livermore Labs for a summer internship?

• Thread starter Poop-Loops
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Labs
In summary, the student is considering a summer internship at Livermore National Laboratory, but is worried about the expense of living there and the difficulty of commuting.
Poop-Loops
I am not sure whether this should go here or in the Academic Guidance forum, sorry.

But my prof wants me to go to LLNL over the summer. I smiled like a Hillary running for President.

But now apparently I need to find my own apartment to stay at and I'm not even sure if I'll be reimbursed. Basically, while I iron this out with my professor and the people at LLNL, I just wanted to ask if any of you had been there, especially temporarily as student, and could tell me a bit about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about the lab, but I lived in the bay area when I was in high school. If you could work it out, you definitely should go! It gets hot in the summer - bring your sunglasses!

Livermore is a very expensive place to live, I would choose someplace in central CA and commute (even though the gas price is terrible, I think it would still be cheaper to do that).

I'm only going for 2 months max, so commuting isn't really an option. I mean, it's possible I could bum a ride off of a co-worker every day, but not likely I'd find someone willing to do that. Also, if they can't come to work for some reason, I'm screwed.

My Prof. said that housing would be reimbursed, but that's nowhere near final. He said he isn't really sure actually.

Livermore is a very nice area, PL. I think you will like it. It's going to get hotter than Washington, but it's a pretty dry heat, and not too bad to deal with. From Livermore, you have a much easier drive to the Sierras and Yosemite, as compared to starting from Silicon Valley where I am. You will have some pretty fun weekends!

I've toured LLNL in the past, and it's a pretty cool place. I think that recently the funding issues with the federa government have caused some problems, but if you have the position lined up, then you should be in for an interesting and fun summer. My supervisor lives in Livermore (and commutes into San Jose here for work). PM me if you need any more local info, and I'll ask him for you.

Related to Have you stayed at Livermore Labs for a summer internship?

1. What is the purpose of a summer internship at Livermore Labs?

A summer internship at Livermore Labs allows students to gain hands-on experience in a scientific research environment. It also provides an opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects and collaborate with experienced scientists.

2. What types of research opportunities are available at Livermore Labs for summer internships?

Livermore Labs offers a wide range of research opportunities in areas such as physics, engineering, computer science, and environmental science. Interns can choose to work on projects related to national security, renewable energy, climate change, and more.

3. How long is the summer internship at Livermore Labs?

The summer internship at Livermore Labs typically lasts for 10-12 weeks, starting in June or July and ending in August or September. The exact duration may vary depending on the specific program and project.

4. Is there any financial compensation for the summer internship at Livermore Labs?

Yes, interns at Livermore Labs receive a stipend to cover their living expenses during the internship. The amount may vary depending on the program and project, but it is typically enough to cover basic living costs.

5. What are the eligibility requirements for the summer internship at Livermore Labs?

The eligibility requirements for the summer internship at Livermore Labs vary depending on the specific program. Generally, applicants should be enrolled in a college or university program and have a strong academic background in a relevant field of study. Some programs may also have specific GPA and coursework requirements.