Haven't heard anything from my PhD applications: Any chances left?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concerns of an individual who has applied for PhD study in particle theory at multiple US graduate schools. They have heard back from some schools but not others, and are wondering if they should have a plan B in case they are not accepted. It is mentioned that the individual has a strong academic background but limited research experience in their desired field. The conversation ends with reassurance that there is still time for the individual to hear back from the remaining schools.
petergreat
Sorry for bringing up a somewhat vacuous question. I've applied for PhD study in particle theory at 9 US graduate schools. 6 of them are among the most prestigious schools, and the remaining 3 schools are Chicago, Rutgers, and Stony Brook. Half of these schools have given out their first wave of offers, starting from one week ago. But I have heard nothing yet, and I'm starting to get seriously worried as it is approaching mid February. On the up side, I come from a top UK university and have high grades and high GRE scores. On the down side, my research experience is weak, and my recommenders all work in areas of physics other than HEP, due to the fact that my department only has a small HEP group. I'm wondering what percent of the offers are typically given out in the first wave? Shall I interpret the lack of responses so far as an indication that I need to adjust my expectations and focus on some plan B instead? Thank you for you opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't give up, don't ever give up!

Did you do an Honours year with your Bachelors degree? Most of the schools you applied to will have First Class Honours as a minimum requirement, High grades in a normal bachelors degree won't be enough =[.

well, the good news is you didnt fall into the first round of eliminations. if all 9 schools kept your application in the pool id say the odds are on your side for getting admitted to at least one :/

good luck

Holy hell, don't schools usually just start sending out acceptance letters in March?

Pengwuino said:
Holy hell, don't schools usually just start sending out acceptance letters in March?
As far as I know, yeah. At least that's what it says on the websites. A friend of mine heard back from one school, but even that was an informal acceptance. He applied to like 8, is a really strong candidate (grades+gre+research+publications), and still hasn't heard back from the rest.

Shall I interpret the lack of responses so far as an indication that I need to adjust my expectations and focus on some plan B instead?
It just means that you're probably not someone they're trying really hard to recruit, but I wouldn't take it as a sign that all hope is lost. Have a plan B, but remember that some of these schools have only been looking at applications for about a month, so you need to step relax a bit.

Related to Haven't heard anything from my PhD applications: Any chances left?

1. Can I still be accepted to a PhD program if I haven't heard anything back yet?

Yes, it is possible to still be accepted to a PhD program even if you haven't heard back yet. Some programs have a rolling admissions process, so they may still be reviewing applications and making decisions. It's important to stay patient and keep checking for updates.

2. How long does it typically take to hear back from PhD programs?

The timeline for hearing back from PhD programs can vary, but it usually takes several weeks to a few months. Some programs may have specific dates for when they send out notifications, so it's important to check their website or reach out to the admissions office for an estimated timeline.

3. Should I follow up with the program if I haven't heard anything?

It is generally not recommended to follow up with the program unless they specifically ask for additional information or materials. The admissions process can be lengthy and it's important to give the program enough time to review all applications. However, if it has been significantly longer than the estimated timeline, it may be appropriate to reach out for an update.

4. Does not hearing back mean I have been rejected?

Not necessarily. While it's understandable to feel anxious and worried if you haven't heard back from a program, it does not always mean you have been rejected. Some programs may have a longer review process or may be waiting to hear back from other applicants before making a decision.

5. What can I do while waiting to hear back from PhD programs?

While waiting to hear back from PhD programs, you can continue to focus on your research and academic pursuits. You can also reach out to potential advisors or professors at the programs you have applied to, and continue networking and building relationships in your field. It's important to stay proactive and continue to strengthen your application in case you are waitlisted or need to reapply in the future.