Having trouble running C++ compiler

In summary, the problem is that the command prompt disappears after a nano-second when you try to run the code. The solution is to either run the program from a persistent command prompt, or change the program so that it doesn't finish immediately.
Benzoate
The type of compiler I am using is Dev-C++. I have no problem compiling my code and my compiler has generated no errors. However , when I try to run my code, The command prompt for like a nano-second and disappears and I have no idea of how to retreive it .

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
The type of compiler I am using is Dev-C++. I have no problem compiling my code and my compiler has generated no errors. However , when I try to run my code, The command prompt for like a nano-second and disappears and I have no idea of how to retreive it .
The problem with computers is that they do exactly what you tell them to do. :smile: It sounds like you either need to run your program from a persistent command prompt, or change your program so that it doesn't finish immediately upon printing the output you want to see.

It would help if you could post some code example which do not work for you, otherwise it is not very easy to help you.

Check if there are any spaces in the names of any of the folders/subfolders/files that you are using for the compiler and name of your program file...

e.g. should be

C:\\MyDocuments\compiler\program.exe

NOT

C:\\My Documents\the compiler\test program.exe

(I also use Dev-C++, if I have any spaces in the names, it does exactly what you say yours does)

Last edited:
With most newer IDE environments, when you execute a terminal program in windows, as soon as the program is terminated, the terminal window will close. There are ways to alter this behavior, but usually the best course of action is to open a persistent terminal window, and execute your program from there.

For example, go to "RUN" and type: cmd.

Then navigate to the directory where the program is compiled, for instance cd C:\users\administrator\documents\debug.

Then, you simply execute the program by invoking its name, for example, C:\helloworld.exe.

Your other option is to put some kind of pause statement at the end of your program, to allow you to view the output.

For instance:

int End1;
cin >> End1;
return 0;

Then, the program will wait for you to enter an integer, giving you time to view the programs output before the terminal window is closed.

1.) Download and install Dev-C++. You can either use version 4.9.9.x or 5.0 (still beta). The setup should be just like any other windows program. However, you must install to a location that does not contain spaces. I don't know why this issue still exists but trust me on it. I chose to use C:\Dev-cpp\ for my location. (Download Dev-C++)
The Dev-C++ IDE
Pre-Installation Issues

We strongly recommend that Dev-C++ is installed and tested before installing any of the GTK+ or gtkmm libraries, as we will be installing all the libraries into the Dev-C++ directory. Ensure that you are able to successfully compile and run a simple C++ program from Dev-C++ before proceeding to the next step. For instance, try a simple Hello World program.

Note: Currently (as of v4.9.8.0) Dev-C++ does not like to be installed in directories with spaces in them. Installing Dev-C++ to the "Program Files" directory may cause problems at a later stage when it looks for the include and lib directories.

Select a folder where you would like to install DevC++. It's best if you don't use a folder that contains spaces, (such as "Documents and Settings"). As you can see here, I've created a folder named bin, where I install all of the programs that I use. Click Install once you've selected a folder:

I know it sounds weird, but it worked for me.

FAQ: Having trouble running C++ compiler

1. Why is my C++ code not compiling?

There could be multiple reasons for this. Some common causes include typos or syntax errors in your code, missing libraries or header files, or incompatible compiler settings. It's important to carefully check your code for any errors and make sure all necessary dependencies are included.

2. How do I fix errors during the compilation process?

The first step is to carefully read the error messages and identify the source of the problem. From there, you can make any necessary changes to your code or compiler settings to resolve the issue. It can also be helpful to consult online resources or seek assistance from other programmers.

3. Is my computer powerful enough to run a C++ compiler?

Generally, any modern computer should be able to run a C++ compiler without issue. However, if you are experiencing slow or lagging compile times, you may want to check your computer's specifications and make sure you have enough memory and processing power to handle the task.

4. Can I use any C++ compiler for my code?

There are many different C++ compilers available, and some may have different features or compatibility with certain libraries. It's important to research and choose a compiler that best suits your needs and is compatible with your code and any necessary dependencies.

5. How can I improve my C++ compilation process?

There are a few things you can do to optimize your C++ compilation process. This includes organizing your code into smaller, more manageable files, avoiding unnecessary dependencies or libraries, and using compiler optimizations such as parallelization. It can also be helpful to regularly update your compiler and keep your code clean and error-free.

Back