Having trouble using Psychometric chart....

• Thread starter christyu
  • Start date
However, once you have the enthalpy, you can use it to find other properties of the air without needing the dry bulb temperature. In summary, the psychometric chart can be used to find the enthalpy of air by matching up dry bulb and wet bulb temperatures. The evaporator enthalpy can be found using the temperatures given in the problem. There may be slight variations in calculations due to the approximation of the chart. And the dry bulb temperature is necessary to find the enthalpy, but once it is known, other properties can be found without it.
christyu
Member warned to use the formatting template for homework posts.
Hey guys, I'm actually studying vapor compression refrigeration cycle and would like you guys' help in understanding Psychometric chart. There are no calculations involved but need reasoning and guide.

Given (temperatures)
dry bulb entering condenser: 69oF
dry bulb leaving condenser: 75oF
Wet bulb entering evaporator: 59oF
wet bulb leaving evaporator: 58oF
dry bulb leaving evaporator: 63oF
wet bulb leaving condenser: 61oF

I was asked to use psychometric chart to find All air enthalpies.

I know that in order to find enthalpy you just need to match up dry bulb and wet bulb on the chart and see which value of enthalpy it lines up to. I hope to understand how things work with these problems I got.

1. I asked someone online for help the other day and he used condenser and wet bulb entering evaporator for finding enthalpy of condenser(Entering), and for finding enthalpy of condenser (exiting), he used dry bulb leaving evaporator and wet bulb leaving evaporator.
why did he choose these 4 values and left the other ones? What about evaporator?(entering,exiting)?2. When he used psychometric chart to find enthalpy of condenser (Entering), he got the value as 30 Btu/lbm. When I tried it myself I got like a little bit over 25 btu/lbm and even checked it out with online psychometric chart calculator which provided similar value. did he do it wrong?

link to psychrometric chart (I checked it with my chart just in case if there's any difference):
http://web.uconn.edu/poultry/NE-127/NewFiles/psychrometric_inset.html

link to online psychrometric calculator (change unit to IP since it's Fahrenheit): http://www.sugartech.co.za/psychro/

3. One thing I would like to know is that, does value of dry bulb matter? I mean in the end, wetbulb already lines up with enthalpy side so as long as I have the value of saturation temperature/wet bulb temperature, dry bulb temperature can be neglected? or am I misunderstanding something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance for the help!1. He chose these 4 values because they are the temperatures that you have given in the problem. The evaporator enthalpy can be found by using the dry bulb entering condenser and wet bulb leaving condenser temperatures.2. It is possible that he did it wrong. The psychrometric chart is an approximation, so there may be slight variations between different charts or calculations.3. The dry bulb temperature does matter. The psychrometric chart is used to find the enthalpy of the air, which is a combination of both the dry bulb and wet bulb temperatures. The dry bulb temperature can not be neglected, as it is needed to calculate the enthalpy.

Related to Having trouble using Psychometric chart....

1. What is a Psychometric chart and why is it used?

A Psychometric chart is a visual representation of the thermodynamic properties of air, including temperature, humidity, and air pressure. It is used by scientists and engineers to analyze and understand the behavior of air in a specific environment. It is especially useful in the fields of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC).

2. How do I read a Psychometric chart?

To read a Psychometric chart, first locate the temperature scale on the horizontal axis and the humidity scale on the vertical axis. Then, find the point of intersection between the two scales that represents the current conditions. Finally, follow the lines on the chart to determine the other properties of the air, such as specific humidity, enthalpy, and dew point temperature.

3. What are some common mistakes when using a Psychometric chart?

Some common mistakes when using a Psychometric chart include incorrectly interpreting the lines, not accounting for altitude or pressure changes, and not considering the effects of mixing air streams. It is important to carefully read the chart and double check all calculations to avoid errors.

4. How can I use a Psychometric chart to troubleshoot HVAC issues?

A Psychometric chart can help you identify and troubleshoot issues with HVAC systems by analyzing the properties of air in different parts of the system. For example, if the air entering the system is too humid, you can use the chart to determine the appropriate dehumidification strategy. Additionally, the chart can help you identify areas where the system may be losing heat or cooling efficiency.

5. Are there any online resources for using Psychometric charts?

Yes, there are many online resources available for using Psychometric charts, including tutorials, interactive charts, and calculators. Some popular resources include the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) website and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) website.