Having trouble with Helmholtz Coil Experiment Calculations

In summary: This would make your formulas much easier to read and understand.In summary, the experiment involved finding the equilibrium of a magnetic moment in a field and a Helmholtz coil. The number of wraps on the magnetic moment was 100, while the Helmholtz coil had 140 wraps. The current through the magnetic moment was 0.796A and its area was 0.37m. The radius of the Helmholtz coil was 0.1635m and the current needed to attain equilibrium on a balance was 1.32, 2.61, and 3.91 for gravitational torques caused by counterweights that were 0.255m away, 0.0001g, and
Darthturkey

Homework Statement

Number of wraps of coil on magnetic moment in field: 100 - N_c
Number of wraps of coil on Helmholtz coil: 140 - N_h
Current through magnetic moment: .796A - I_c
Area of magnetic moment: .37m - A_c
Radius of Helmholtz coil: .1635m - R_h
Current through Helmholtz coil to attain equilibrium on balance: 1.32, 2.61,3.91 corresponding to gravitational torques caused by counterweights that are .255m away, .0001g,.0002g,.0003g

Homework Equations

Bh=(8u_0*N_h*I_h)/(5^(3/2) * R_h)
as well as T_m = B_h * N_c*I*A_c

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the three torques both gravitational as well as magnetic based on the formulas provided above. Each time I received an answer that was a magnitude of 100 apart. Based on my thinking the T_g and T_m should be equal as the magnetic torque should balance out the gravitational torque. I have checked to make sure all of my units are in SI and I still cannot determine why I am not getting the calculations that I should. I also cannot make heads or tails of how the Area of the magnetic moment within the field should have a vector and if it does, how to describe its orientation in space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you get "exactly" 100 as factor between the answers? This would hint to some conversion errors, or a missing factor of N_c somewhere.
If the factor is 125, the factor of 5^(3/2) is in the wrong part of the fraction.
Can you show your calculations? I don't see an obvious error here. I think the prefactor 8/(5^(3/2)) is given somewhere?

A notation like "100 - N_c" is confusing, this looks like a subtraction. Why don't you write 100 = N_c, or (better) N_c = 100?

FAQ: Having trouble with Helmholtz Coil Experiment Calculations

What is the Helmholtz Coil Experiment?

The Helmholtz Coil Experiment is a physics experiment designed to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and the behavior of magnetic fields. It involves using two identical coils of wire placed parallel to each other with a certain distance between them, and passing an electric current through them to create a uniform magnetic field.

Why might I be having trouble with Helmholtz Coil Experiment calculations?

There are several reasons why someone may have trouble with Helmholtz Coil Experiment calculations. One common reason is not understanding the underlying concepts and equations involved in electromagnetism. Another reason could be errors in measuring the necessary parameters, such as the number of turns in the coils or the distance between them.

What are the key equations to know for the Helmholtz Coil Experiment?

The key equations for the Helmholtz Coil Experiment include the Biot-Savart Law, which calculates the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire, and the equation for the magnetic field produced by a Helmholtz Coil, which takes into account the distance between the coils and the current passing through them. It is also important to know how to calculate the magnetic field at the center of the coils, as this is where the experiment is typically conducted.

How can I improve my Helmholtz Coil Experiment calculations?

One way to improve your calculations is to ensure that you fully understand the principles behind the experiment and the equations being used. It may also be helpful to double-check your measurements and calculations for accuracy. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or colleague with experience in electromagnetism can be beneficial.

What are some common sources of error in Helmholtz Coil Experiment calculations?

Some common sources of error in Helmholtz Coil Experiment calculations include inaccurate measurements, variations in the current passing through the coils, and external magnetic fields interfering with the experiment. It is important to carefully control these factors and take multiple measurements to minimize errors.

Back