Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper: A Top-Down Look

• Thread starter duke_nemmerle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation revolves around a paper by Hawking and Hertog that uses the path integral approach to study different histories with certain constraints. The speaker mentions their enjoyment of the CDT paper, which also uses a similar path integral approach. They note that the CDT approach is a direct descendant of Hawking's work, and the recent paper by Hawking and Hertog is cited in the discussion. The speaker expresses interest in learning more about the path integral and thanks the other person for their explanation.
duke_nemmerle
This is an easy to read paper by Hawking and Hertog that takes a top-down look at the landscape. It uses the path integral approach to look at different histories with certain constraints. I spose I like it because it reminds of the CDT paper I so enjoy. It's worth a look at least.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0602/0602091.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
duke_nemmerle said:
... It uses the path integral approach to look at different histories with certain constraints. I spose I like it because it reminds of the CDT paper I so enjoy. It's worth a look at least.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0602/0602091.pdf

I remember you liked the CDT paper "The Universe from Scratch" (I think that was the one, it could have been "Reconstructing...").
There is a connection with Hawking's Euclidean Path Integral.
the CDT approach is something like a grandchild descendant, and Loll papers often cite Hawking. I am not certain of the dates but it's something like this.

Hawking worked out his approach to quantizing gravity in the 1980s.
It was a path integral---meaning a weighted average (roughly speaking) of all possible spacetimes that begin and end some specified way---analogous to a Feynman path integral weighted average of all possible paths a particle can take to travel from some specified here to there.

Around 1990 some people, including Jan Ambjorn, started researching a Dynamical Triangulations path integral. It wasn't the "causal" version---it was an earlier version. Ambjorn's was a close relative of Hawking's path integral.

Again a weighted average of all possible spacetimes that begin and end some specified way. The 1990s Ambjorn papers cite Hawking. Then in 1998 Loll got together with Ambjorn and they worked out the CDT approach. This was "Lorentzian" rather than "Euclidean" in that it used simplices that were chunks of Minkowski special relativity space---and stacked the simplices up in a way that respected causal ordering.

But despite the emphasis on Lorentzian/causal instead of Euclidean, the Loll CDT approach is still a direct descendant (by way of Ambjorn's earlier DT) of Hawking's. And the 2004 CDT papers cite Hawking quite a bit, if I rember correctly.

I believe you are referring to a kind of FAMILY RESEMBLANCE, basically the fact that both are path integrals (applied to spacetime) and this is something that Hawking pioneered.

But you may be picking up on something else, which I am missing.

I looked at the recent Hawking Hertog paper a few days ago, but not at length. I will take another look at it in light of your comments. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke, you can find some comments by selfAdjoint and Kea about the Hawking Hertog paper here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110061

it is a thread called "Hawking landscape paper"

the discussion didn't get very far yet, but it is some comment

Oh, I'm sorry I completely missed that other post(I don't know how.) Yes, it was the path integral similarity that I liked. The CDT(I believe it was "The Universe From Scratch") paper was very nice in that it took the time to explain how you could use the path integral to find an average of things other than particle positions. I was familiar with the path integral in the study of just "pop physics", but I am trying to learn some maths that will allow me to have a better understanding than that. Thanks for the wonderful explanation, too.

Related to Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper: A Top-Down Look

1. What is the "Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper" about?

The "Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper" is a scientific paper published in 2018 by renowned physicists Stephen Hawking and Thomas Hertog. It presents a top-down approach to studying the multiverse theory, which suggests the existence of multiple universes beyond our own.

2. What is the significance of this paper in the field of physics?

This paper is significant because it presents a new way of studying the multiverse theory, which has been a topic of debate and speculation in the scientific community. It also sheds light on the potential existence of other universes and the implications this could have on our understanding of the laws of physics.

3. What is the main argument presented in the "Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper"?

The main argument of the paper is that the multiverse theory can be studied using a top-down approach, rather than the traditional bottom-up approach. This means starting with the overall structure of the multiverse and then looking at the properties of individual universes, rather than starting with the properties of individual universes and trying to build up to the overall structure.

4. What evidence supports the claims made in this paper?

The evidence presented in the "Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper" is primarily theoretical and mathematical. The authors use a new mathematical framework called the "no-boundary proposal" to study the multiverse. They also incorporate principles from string theory and quantum mechanics to support their arguments.

5. How has this paper been received by the scientific community?

The "Hawking & Hertog's Landscape Paper" has received a mix of reactions from the scientific community. While some have praised the paper for its innovative approach and potential implications, others have criticized it for being too speculative and lacking empirical evidence. Further research and discussion are needed to fully understand the impact of this paper in the field of physics.