Hcc8.12 Find the sum of vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of two vectors, $(10, 45^o)$ and $(7, 150^o)$. The participants calculated the magnitude of the difference of the two vectors, but the correct approach is to add the coordinates and then calculate the magnitude. This results in a magnitude of approximately 10.619. The conversation also briefly mentions another method of finding the magnitude using the coordinate values of the vectors.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{hcc8.12}$
$\textsf{Find the sum of vectors $(10, \, 45^o)$ and $(7, \, 150^o)$}\\$$\begin{align*}\displaystyle
\textsf{magnitude}
&=\sqrt{(10\cos45^o - 7\cos150^o)^2 + (10\sin45^o - 7\sin150^o)^2} \approx 12.114
\end{align*}$

ok an online vector sum calculator returned 10.619

so wheres my error?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, karushYou have calculated the magnitude of the difference of the two vectors.

If you add the coordinates, I´m sure, you´ll get the online answer.

lfdahl said:
Hi, karushYou have calculated the magnitude of the difference of the two vectors.

If you add the coordinates, I´m sure, you´ll get the online answer.
\(\displaystyle 10.6191\) is the online calculated magnitude which I could not derive

karush said:
\(\displaystyle 10.6191\) is the online calculated magnitude which I could not derive

Try to calculate the magnitude with the coordinate values:

$(10\cos 45^{\circ}+7\cos 150^{\circ})$ and $(10\sin 45^{\circ}+7\sin 150^{\circ})$

lfdahl said:
Try to calculate the magnitude with the coordinate values:

$(10\cos 45^{\circ}+7\cos 150^{\circ})$ and $(10\sin 45^{\circ}+7\sin 150^{\circ})$

that returns $3.71084$ which isn't it

$R_x=5\sqrt{2}-\dfrac{7\sqrt{3}}{2}$

$R_y=5\sqrt{2}+\dfrac{7}{2}$

$|R|= \sqrt{R_x^2 + R_y^2} \approx 10.619$

strange thought that is what I had☕

mahalo

FAQ: Hcc8.12 Find the sum of vectors

1. What is the purpose of finding the sum of vectors?

The purpose of finding the sum of vectors is to determine the resulting vector when multiple vectors are added together. This is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where vectors represent quantities with both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you find the sum of vectors?

To find the sum of vectors, you need to first identify the components (magnitude and direction) of each vector. Then, you can add the components of each vector together to get the resulting vector. This can be done using mathematical equations or graphical methods, such as vector addition diagrams.

3. Can vectors be added in any order?

Yes, vectors can be added in any order without affecting the result. This is known as the commutative property of vector addition.

4. What happens when two vectors have the same direction?

When two vectors have the same direction, their magnitudes are added together to get the resulting vector. This is similar to adding two positive numbers together, where the result is a larger positive number.

5. Is it possible for the sum of two vectors to be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the sum of two vectors to be zero. This occurs when two vectors have equal magnitudes but opposite directions. In this case, the resulting vector has a magnitude of zero and is known as the zero vector.