Head On Collision: Cars vs Trucks

In summary: Earth. In this situation, if m is ten times as heavy as M, then m would have to travel at a speed of 1000V in order to have the same momentum as M.
harsh95
A large truck and a car,both moving with a velocity of magnitude "V",have a head on collision and both of them come to halt after that.If the collision lasts for 1s:
(a)Which vehicle experiences the greater force of impact?
(b)Which vehicle experiences the greater change in momentum?
(c)Which vehicle experiences greater acceleration?
(d)Why is the car likely to suffer more damage than the truck?
Please help me solve this with equations and statement.I a having trouble with Newton's third law!

I think Newton's third and second law are applicable here!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
We're waiting for your attempt at a solution... What are your thoughts on item (a)?

For (a) Due to 3rd law of motion I think both will experience same force of impact! Every action has equal and opp. reaction.
For (b) Because truck's mass is more and velocity being same,so I think it will experience greater change in momentum.But I am unable to proof this with equation!
For (c)Not getting the question
For (d)Practically car would experience greater damage but I don't know why because acc to 3rd law they both should exert equal force

Your answer (a) looks okay.

For (b), I don't see any evidence in the question that the truck masses more than the car! The question says 'A large truck and a car...", but then it states that both are moving with the same velocity magnitude V, and that they come to a halt after colliding. That sounds like they have equal momenta, and if |V| is the same, then so is M.

Sir,if it is given that mass of truck is greater then would it have a greater momenta? Also the collision lasts for 1 second,so how they have equal momenta?
Could please tell me the answer for (c) and (d)
I am preparing for Science Olympiad and "Law of motion" is one of the chapter in syllabus.
Am really confused between 2nd and 3rd law!

Because 3rd law states that every action has equal and opposite reaction then but then F=ma.Then if the Mass of object and the acceleration is greater then the object it is having head on collision with then how will they exert equal force?
I think if understood this concept I would be able solve this type of question! Please help
Thank you

harsh95 said:
Sir,if it is given that mass of truck is greater then would it have a greater momenta?

What is the formula for momentum?

Also the collision lasts for 1 second,so how they have equal momenta?

What are their momenta after the collision and they are both at rest?

Could please tell me the answer for (c) and (d)
I am preparing for Science Olympiad and "Law of motion" is one of the chapter in syllabus.
Am really confused between 2nd and 3rd law!

How you answer (c) and (d) depends upon your understanding of the question. If you think that the truck has a different mass than the car, then they would have to have different velocities in order for the magnitudes of their momenta to be equal. With different momenta you would expect there to be some "leftover" momentum after the collision, and the pair would continue to roll or slide along the road until friction brought them to a halt.

Because 3rd law states that every action has equal and opposite reaction then but then F=ma.Then if the Mass of object and the acceleration is greater then the object it is having head on collision with then how will they exert equal force?
I think if understood this concept I would be able solve this type of question! Please help
Thank you

Suppose you have one mass M that is ten times another mass m. If mass M is traveling at speed V, what speed would m have to travel in order to have the same magnitude of momentum?

If both M and m are brought to rest by colliding head-on, what is the change in velocity of each? Which had to accelerate (decelerate) more during the collision?

The third law concerns bodies that mutually interact; One body touches another and they apply equal and oppositely directed forces on each other. The second law concerns an unbalanced external force being applied to a body, without reference to what the "agent" is that's applying the force.

In reality, all real forces have "agents" of some form if you look hard enough. But it is often convenient to ignore the agent and consider just the disembodied force. An example is the force of gravity, where we simply place a force vector on the free body diagram and label it "mg"; we (usually) don't bother considering the third-law implications of the response of the Earth to the equal and opposite force being applied to it.

Formula for momentum p=mv
If they are at rest then their momenta will be 0 because velocity is 0

"Suppose you have one mass M that is ten times another mass m. If mass M is traveling at speed V, what speed would m have to travel in order to have the same magnitude of momentum?"

Then it has to travel at velocity 10 times than the object of mass M for them to have same magnitude of momentum.

"If both M and m are brought to rest by colliding head-on, what is the change in velocity of each? Which had to accelerate (decelerate) more during the collision?"

The object with smaller mass had to decelerate more that is the object with mass "m" traveling at velocity "10v"

Curious question - "large truck" strongly suggests a much larger mass than a car, but according to conservation of momentum they would not come to a stop unless the masses were equal. Or are we to assume the car is severely damaged so friction becomes large and causes them to stop? I suspect an error has been made in writing the question.

FAQ: Head On Collision: Cars vs Trucks

1. What causes head on collisions between cars and trucks?

Head on collisions between cars and trucks can be caused by a variety of factors, including driver error, distracted driving, speeding, mechanical failures, and poor road conditions. In some cases, weather conditions such as fog or rain can also contribute to these types of accidents.

2. How common are head on collisions between cars and trucks?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, head on collisions between cars and trucks make up approximately 10% of all fatal accidents involving large trucks. While these types of accidents are less common than other types of collisions, they can still have devastating consequences.

3. Are there any safety measures in place to prevent head on collisions between cars and trucks?

Yes, there are several safety measures in place to help prevent head on collisions between cars and trucks. These include traffic laws, such as speed limits and no passing zones, as well as technologies like lane departure warning systems and automatic emergency braking in newer vehicles. Additionally, trucking companies often have strict safety protocols in place for their drivers.

4. What are the most common injuries sustained in head on collisions between cars and trucks?

The most common injuries sustained in head on collisions between cars and trucks are head and brain injuries, spinal injuries, and chest injuries. These can range from minor injuries such as bruises and cuts to more serious injuries like concussions, broken bones, and internal bleeding.

5. How can I stay safe when sharing the road with trucks?

To stay safe when sharing the road with trucks, it's important to always follow traffic laws and be aware of your surroundings. Avoid distractions while driving and maintain a safe distance from trucks, as they have larger blind spots and may require more time to stop. If you see a truck driving erratically, it's best to keep your distance and report it to the authorities. And if you're driving a truck, make sure to follow all safety protocols and communicate with other drivers on the road.