Health-Related Topic for Electrical Engineer

In summary, Hesham is writing a report on a health topic that is related to electrical engineering. Various electrical techniques are mentioned that could be used in medical imaging or to sterilize food.
Hesham29
Hello everyone
I'm glad to type my the first post in this great forum.
I'm about to write a report (1800 words) about a health topic this is related to electrical engineering. So, do you have any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

The one that immediately pops to mind is the pacemaker:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cardiac_pacemaker

But for something a little more en vogue, you could try the IEEE Biomedical Engineering journals:
http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/journmag/journals_magazines.html

Good morning Hesham, welcome to Physics Forums.

I note your title is health - not safety - and electrical not electronic - engineering.

This brings to mind the health effects of various 'chemical' products ( solder and other heavy metals, insulation, resins, etc) used in electrical engineering.

go well

and where we'd be without electric power

still living in dark ages, consuming only what we could produce locally and bathing only in warm weather, drinking from rivers.

Last edited:
You could talk about image processing and DSP techniques used in medical imaging

Thank you all for your responses.
I'd like to add that the report is acceptable to be about any branch of electrical engineering but it must be under the theme of health.
I'm looking forward for hearing more from your good ideas!

I know there is a lot of active research in bioimpedance measurements.

Say an EMT in an ambulance needs to quickly see inside someone's arm that might be broken but don't have big expensive x-ray equipment. They could use a device that can insert needle electrodes through the skin and into the muscle and actually image the inside of the arm based on the bioimpedance to find fractures in the bone.

You could write about various electrical techniques of food sterilization such as exposure to UV light or a high voltage electromagnetic pulse, or medical instrumentation like an Electro-Cardio-Graph or Electroencephalogram. My favorite would probably be neural prosthetic therapy which can be used to treat (experimentally) blindness, paralysis, and lost extremities.

Thank you for all your appreciated contributions!

FAQ: Health-Related Topic for Electrical Engineer

1. How does electrical engineering relate to health and healthcare?

Electrical engineering plays a crucial role in the development and advancement of medical technology. It is used in the design and production of medical devices such as MRI machines, pacemakers, and insulin pumps. Electrical engineers also work on improving the efficiency and accuracy of medical equipment, making healthcare more accessible and effective.

2. Can electrical engineering help in the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions?

Yes, electrical engineering is involved in the development of tools and techniques for diagnosing and treating various health conditions. For example, EEG (electroencephalogram) and ECG (electrocardiogram) machines use electrical signals to measure brain and heart activity, respectively. Electrical stimulation is also used in treatments for conditions such as Parkinson's disease and chronic pain.

3. How do electrical engineers ensure the safety of medical devices?

Electrical engineers follow strict regulations and standards to ensure the safety and reliability of medical devices. This includes testing the devices for potential hazards, such as electrical shocks, and implementing safety features to prevent malfunctions. They also work closely with healthcare professionals to gather feedback and improve the devices' safety and effectiveness.

4. What are some current developments in electrical engineering that can impact healthcare?

There are several ongoing developments in electrical engineering that have the potential to revolutionize healthcare. These include the use of nanotechnology in drug delivery systems, the development of implantable devices for continuous monitoring of health conditions, and the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in medical diagnosis and treatment.

5. How can electrical engineers contribute to promoting public health?

Electrical engineers can contribute to public health through the development of low-cost and accessible medical devices for underprivileged communities. They can also work on creating sustainable and renewable energy sources for healthcare facilities, reducing their carbon footprint and promoting environmental health. Electrical engineers also play a role in improving telemedicine and remote healthcare services, making healthcare more accessible to individuals in rural and remote areas.