Heat conductance and temp measurement

The equations I would consider are the temperature gradient and thermal conductivity, but I am unsure how to model this for an idealized conductor. I am open to any recommendations or resources for understanding this topic. This is not a coursework problem, so I am free to explore it to the best of my understanding.In summary, the conversation discusses how to model a system consisting of a body at a finite temperature, connected to a heat conducting rod and a thermometer. The main considerations for the model are the temperature gradient and thermal conductivity, but there is uncertainty about how to model this for an idealized conductor. The speaker is seeking resources to better understand this topic.
Mechdude

Homework Statement

i'm trying to find out how to model a system consisting of a body at a finite temperature, connected to a heat conducting rod that is lagged (see scanned image) and a thermometer (or any other temp measurement device), what would i take into account while modelling this question? what would the model account for? and what is the best way to look at this thing?

Homework Equations

probably [itex] \vec{q} = -k \nabla T [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i would take into account the temperature gradient, Thermal conductivity (how is this modeled for an idealized conductor? i mean would k be 1 or what? ). if there's a book out there i need to see please let me know. it is not a coursework problem, so I'm free to look at it to the level best of my understanding.

Attachments

• tempConduct.jpg
    tempConduct.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, I need to figure out how to model a system consisting of a body at a finite temperature, connected to a heat conducting rod that is lagged and a thermometer (or any other temp measurement device). What would the model account for? What is the best way to look at this system?

Related to Heat conductance and temp measurement

1. What is heat conductance and how does it differ from heat conductivity?

Heat conductance is the measure of a material's ability to transfer heat, while heat conductivity is the inherent property of a material that determines its ability to conduct heat. Essentially, heat conductance takes into account both the material's conductivity and its physical dimensions, providing a more comprehensive understanding of how heat is transferred through a material.

2. What units are used to measure heat conductance?

Heat conductance is typically measured in watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK) in the International System of Units (SI). Other commonly used units include BTU per hour-foot-degree Fahrenheit (BTU/h-ft-°F) and calories per second-centimeter-degree Celsius (cal/s-cm-°C).

3. How is heat conductance affected by temperature?

Heat conductance is directly proportional to temperature, meaning that as temperature increases, so does heat conductance. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules in a material have more energy and are able to transfer heat more easily.

4. What is the most accurate method for measuring temperature?

The most accurate method for measuring temperature is through the use of a thermocouple. A thermocouple is a device that consists of two different metals joined together at one end. When the junction of the two metals is heated or cooled, a voltage is produced that can be measured and converted to a temperature reading.

5. How does thermal conductivity play a role in temperature measurement?

Thermal conductivity is an important factor in temperature measurement because it determines how quickly heat is transferred from one material to another. When measuring temperature, it is important to consider the thermal conductivity of the materials involved in order to ensure accurate readings.