"Heat current" on a microscopic level

• Thread starter zb23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: It seems like a good question you asked. Without the details of the "trivial stuff", there perhaps isn't much difference between electric current flow and energy flow.e.g. if the charge balances in the conductor carrying current, how do you know that there is a flow of charge as opposed to a flow of energy/heat ?Mathematically the description of each isn't too different. For electric current one case you could consider is where Ohm's law holds i.e. the electric current density can be shown to satisfy$$\mathbf{j}_e = -\sigma \nabla \phi$$For heat current, if you assume that there is no convection component (i.
zb23
What is the difference on microscopic level between electric current and heat current(conduction)?

on Phys.org
Electric current describes a transport of electric charge and the heat current a transport of heat energy.

Likes Dale, anorlunda and etotheipi
It may be of interest that with electric current, there is a flow of charged particles, (electrons in the direction opposite the current flow), and the result is magnetic fields are produced (Biot-Savart), and capacitor plates can become charged.
With heat current, there is no overall transport of particles. It is simply a flow of the kinetic energy.

Likes etotheipi and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Electric current describes a transport of electric charge and the heat current a transport of heat energy.
Please understand my question more deeply

Then you have to more clearly express your question :-).

Likes nasu, Dale and etotheipi
Charles Link said:
It may be of interest that with electric current, there is a flow of charged particles, (electrons in the direction opposite the current flow), and the result is magnetic fields are produced (Biot-Savart), and capacitor plates can become charged.
With heat current, there is no overall transport of particles. It is simply a flow of the kinetic energy.
I am not talking about those trivial stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
vanhees71 said:
Then you have to more clearly express your question :-).
It doesn't matter. Sorry for bothering you.

zb23 said:
I am not talking about those trivial stuff
It seems like a good question you asked. Without the details of the "trivial stuff", there perhaps isn't much difference between electric current flow and energy flow.
e.g. if the charge balances in the conductor carrying current, how do you know that there is a flow of charge as opposed to a flow of energy/heat ?

Likes zb23
Mathematically the description of each isn't too different. For electric current one case you could consider is where Ohm's law holds i.e. the electric current density can be shown to satisfy$$\mathbf{j}_e = -\sigma \nabla \phi$$For heat current, if you assume that there is no convection component (i.e. if we assume there is only a Fick's law diffusion component) to the heat current density, you can describe it as$$\mathbf{j}_h = -D\nabla T$$In this way there is a correspondence between ##\phi \leftrightarrow T## and ##\sigma \leftrightarrow D##

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes zb23, vanhees71 and Charles Link
Caloric does not carry charge?o_O

Last edited:
zb23 said:
Please understand my question more deeply
Please put more effort into your question. The answer you got was the answer to the question you asked. We cannot read your mind, so we don’t know what deep question you are asking unless you put in the effort to formulate it clearly and write it down. All we can do is respond to what you write. We are physicists, not psychics.

Likes zb23, Charles Link, vanhees71 and 1 other person

Related to "Heat current" on a microscopic level

1. What is heat current on a microscopic level?

Heat current on a microscopic level refers to the flow of thermal energy between particles at the molecular level. It is the transfer of heat from areas of high temperature to areas of low temperature.

2. How is heat current measured on a microscopic level?

Heat current can be measured by using techniques such as calorimetry, which measures the change in temperature of a substance as heat is transferred. It can also be measured indirectly through the use of equations such as Fourier's Law.

3. What factors affect heat current on a microscopic level?

The rate of heat current on a microscopic level is affected by various factors, including the temperature difference between two points, the thermal conductivity of the material, and the distance between the particles.

4. How does heat current affect the behavior of particles on a microscopic level?

Heat current can cause particles to vibrate and move faster, which can lead to changes in the physical properties of the material. It can also affect the rate of chemical reactions and phase changes.

5. How does heat current contribute to the overall transfer of heat in a system?

On a microscopic level, heat current is responsible for the transfer of heat between particles. This transfer of energy continues until a state of thermal equilibrium is reached, where there is no longer a temperature difference between the particles.