HEat energy given off by a person

In summary, the conversation discusses a project in a physics class where the students need to calculate the airconditioning requirements for their classroom. One student is trying to find the amount of heat energy given off by a person sitting at a desk, wearing shorts and a tshirt. They have found sources stating 100watts to 150watts, and are questioning if this is a realistic range. The other person suggests finding the amount of calories burned in a certain amount of time and working from there. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that 100 Watts per person is a commonly used calculation for heat load in engineering.
Juvenile
My physics class is doing a project where we need to calculate the airconditioning requirements for our class room.
I need to find out the amount of heat energy given off by a person sitting at a desk, wearing shorts and tshirt.
I have found some sites that state 100watts to 150watts
Is this realistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
find the amount of calories you burn in a certain amount of time. Work from there.

Regards,

Nenad

Juvenile said:
My physics class is doing a project where we need to calculate the airconditioning requirements for our class room.
I need to find out the amount of heat energy given off by a person sitting at a desk, wearing shorts and tshirt.
I have found some sites that state 100watts to 150watts
Is this realistic?
Yes ... 100 Watts per person is often used for engineering calculations of heat load.

~~

Related to HEat energy given off by a person

1. How does a person give off heat energy?

A person gives off heat energy through a process called metabolism. This is the chemical reactions that occur in our bodies to keep us alive and functioning. These reactions release heat energy as a byproduct.

2. How much heat energy does a person give off?

The amount of heat energy a person gives off varies depending on factors such as body size, physical activity, and external temperature. On average, a person gives off about 100 Watts of heat energy at rest.

3. Can a person's heat energy be measured?

Yes, a person's heat energy can be measured using a device called a calorimeter. This measures the amount of heat energy released from the body and can provide information about a person's metabolism and energy expenditure.

4. Why is it important for a person to give off heat energy?

Heat energy is important for a person's survival as it helps regulate body temperature. It also plays a role in metabolic processes and helps maintain proper functioning of the body's organs and systems.

5. How can a person's heat energy be conserved?

A person's heat energy can be conserved by wearing appropriate clothing in cold environments, staying hydrated, and practicing good nutrition. Additionally, avoiding overexertion and staying in a stable environmental temperature can also help conserve heat energy.

Back