Heat Engine Cycles: Understanding Reversible Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses a reversible heat engine operating between two bodies at different temperatures and heat capacities. By considering changes in one cycle of the engine, it is shown that infinitesimal changes in temperature are related by 0 = C1 dT1/T1 + C2 dT2/T2. Eventually, the bodies reach the same temperature Tf and the engine ceases to run, with Tf given by TfC1 + C2 = T1C1 T2C2. The conversation also mentions the equations U = Q + W and dQ = T ds and asks for the value of Tf if the process was irreversible. It is suggested that Tf would be equal to the average of T1 and T2.
nokure

Homework Statement

Taken from adkins Introduction to thermal physics

A reversible heat engine is operated between two bodies, one
of heat capacity C1 initially at temperature T1 and the other of
heat capacity C2 initially at temperature T2. As the engine
operates, the warmer body gradually cools and the cooler one
is warmed.
(a) By considering the changes that occur in one cycle of the
engine, show that infinitesimal changes of temperature of the
two bodies are related by

0 = C1 dT1/T1 + C2 dT2/T2

Eventually, the bodies reach the same temperature Tf and
the heat engine ceases to run. Show that Tf is given by

TfC1 + C2 = T1C1 T2C2

Homework Equations

U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part

I am taking the U to be 0 and W = 0 ... This probably is not be correct.

0 = C1 (T1 + dt) + C2(T2-dt)... this does lead me to the correct solution.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright I figured out this question ...

Its a simple manipulation of the dQ = T ds equation for each Temperature. Then you can equate them by using S1 = -S2 and finally integrate.

The last part of this question ask what the Tf would be if the process was irreversible. I think this would just be the average:

Tf = (T1 + T2)/2

however I have a feeling I am missing something. Any suggestions would be great!

Last edited:

FAQ: Heat Engine Cycles: Understanding Reversible Changes

1. What is a heat engine cycle?

A heat engine cycle is a thermodynamic process in which heat is converted into work. It involves a system that exchanges heat with its surroundings, resulting in a net conversion of heat into work.

2. What are the main components of a heat engine cycle?

The main components of a heat engine cycle are a heat source, a working substance, and a heat sink. The heat source provides the necessary heat for the working substance to perform work, while the heat sink absorbs the excess heat from the working substance.

3. What is a reversible process in a heat engine cycle?

A reversible process in a heat engine cycle is one in which the system can be returned to its initial state by reversing all the changes made to it. This means that both the system and its surroundings experience no net change in entropy during the process.

4. What is the significance of understanding reversible changes in heat engine cycles?

Understanding reversible changes in heat engine cycles is important because it allows us to design more efficient heat engines. By minimizing the amount of irreversible processes, we can maximize the amount of work that can be extracted from a given amount of heat.

5. Can heat engine cycles operate without any energy losses?

No, heat engine cycles cannot operate without any energy losses. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat can never be completely converted into work without some energy being lost in the form of heat transfer to a colder body. However, by understanding reversible changes, we can minimize these losses and improve the efficiency of heat engine cycles.