Heat equation with periodic BC

In summary: Using these expressions, we can substitute the given expression for $u$ into the PDE and verify that it is indeed a solution. This concludes the proof by substitution.
Dennis_P
I got the following PDE.

[tex]
{\frac {\partial }{\partial t}}u \left( y,t \right) = \nu \cdot {\frac {\partial
^{2}}{\partial {y}^{2}}}u \left( y,t \right)[/tex]

With boundary conditions:
[tex]y=0: u(0,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]y=h: u(h,t)=U_0 \cdot cos(\omega \cdot t)[/tex]

Now I need to show by using substitution that,
[tex]\frac{u}{U_0} = \left( A\cos \left( \omega\,t \right) +B\sin \left( \omega\,t
\right) \right) \sinh \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) \cos
\left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) + \left( C\cos \left( \omega\,t
\right) + \left( D \right) \sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \right)
\sin \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) \cosh \left( {\frac {\alpha
\,y}{h}} \right)[/tex]
, is a solution of the above equation.

Here:
[tex]\alpha = \sqrt{\frac{\Omega}{2}}[/tex] where [tex]\Omega = \frac{\omega \cdot h^2}{\nu}[/tex]

Next to that I need to find the expressions to calculate the coefficients for a given [tex]\alpha[/tex].

Attempt at a solution:
Starting with the hint I substitute the expression back into the PDE.
[tex] \left( -A\sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \omega+B\cos \left( \omega\,t
\right) \omega \right) \sinh \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right)
\cos \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) + \left( -C\sin \left(
\omega\,t \right) \omega+ \left( D \right) \cos \left( \omega\,t
\right) \omega \right) \sin \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right)
\cosh \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right)[/tex]
=
[tex]-2\, \left( A\cos \left(
\omega\,t \right) +B\sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \right) \cosh
\left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) {\alpha}^{2}\sin \left( {\frac
{\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) {h}^{-2}+2\, \left( C\cos \left( \omega\,t
\right) + \left( D \right) \sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \right)
\cos \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) {\alpha}^{2}\sinh \left( {
\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) {h}^{-2}
[/tex]

This gives me that A = D and B = C. Now using this information I continue with the BC's. The first BC is automatically satisfied by the sine and hyperbolic sine term. Next I continue with the second BC.

[tex]\left( A\cos \left( \omega\,t \right) +B\sin \left( \omega\,t
\right) \right) \sinh \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) \cos
\left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) + \left( B\cos \left( \omega\,t
\right) + \left( A \right) \sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \right)
\sin \left( {\frac {\alpha\,y}{h}} \right) \cosh \left( {\frac {\alpha
\,y}{h}} \right) =\cos \left( \omega\,t \right)[/tex]

Here I don't see how to continue. Maple gives a rather lengthy solution. Doing it by hand it seems I miss information, but my professor said this should be enough. I have been looking at this problem for a while and maybe I am overlooking things. So I need some assistance from someone with a fresh look.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:To solve this problem, we can first substitute the given expression for $u$ into the PDE and boundary conditions to determine the coefficients. From the boundary condition at $y=0$, we have $u(0,t)=0$. This implies that the coefficient of $\sinh\left(\frac{\alpha y}{h}\right) \cos\left(\frac{\alpha y}{h}\right)$ must be equal to the coefficient of $\sin\left(\frac{\alpha y}{h}\right) \cosh\left(\frac{\alpha y}{h}\right)$, i.e., $A = D$. We can also use the second boundary condition to find the other coefficients. Evaluating the expression for $u$ at $y=h$, we have:$$\left( A\cos \left( \omega\,t \right) +B\sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \right) \sinh \left( {\frac {\alpha\,h}{h}} \right) \cos \left( {\frac {\alpha\,h}{h}} \right) + \left( B\cos \left( \omega\,t \right) + \left( A \right) \sin \left( \omega\,t \right) \right) \sin \left( {\frac {\alpha\,h}{h}} \right) \cosh \left( {\frac {\alpha\,h}{h}} \right) = U_0\cos(\omega t).$$Simplifying the above equation yields $2AB = U_0$, which gives us the relationship between $A$ and $B$. We can now solve for each coefficient individually. For example, solving for $A$, we have $A = \frac{U_0}{2B}$. We can similarly solve for the other coefficients $B$, $C$, and $D$. The final expressions are:$$A = \frac{U_0}{2B}, \quad B = \frac{U_0}{2A}, \quad C = \frac{U_0}{2A}, \quad D = \frac{U_0}{2B}.$$

Related to Heat equation with periodic BC

1. What is the heat equation with periodic boundary conditions?

The heat equation with periodic boundary conditions is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat over time in a system with periodic boundaries. This means that the temperature at one end of the system is equal to the temperature at the opposite end, creating a closed loop or cycle.

2. How is the heat equation with periodic boundary conditions different from the standard heat equation?

The heat equation with periodic boundary conditions differs from the standard heat equation in that it takes into account the periodicity of the system. This means that the temperature at any point in the system is not only affected by its immediate neighbors, but also by the temperature at the opposite end of the system.

3. What are some real-world applications of the heat equation with periodic boundary conditions?

The heat equation with periodic boundary conditions has many real-world applications, including the study of heat transfer in metal rods, heat flow in the Earth's crust, and temperature distribution in electronic circuits. It is also used in fields such as thermodynamics, materials science, and meteorology.

4. How is the heat equation with periodic boundary conditions solved?

The heat equation with periodic boundary conditions can be solved using various numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the spectral method. These methods involve discretizing the system into smaller parts and solving for the temperature at each point in the system at different time steps. Alternatively, analytical solutions can also be obtained for simplified systems.

5. What are the limitations of the heat equation with periodic boundary conditions?

The heat equation with periodic boundary conditions is a simplified model and has some limitations. It assumes that the system is homogeneous and that the temperature at the boundaries remains constant over time. In reality, there may be variations in material properties and external factors that can affect the temperature distribution. Additionally, the periodicity assumption may not hold true for all systems.