Heat exchanged in Expanding and cooling gas

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving the first law of thermodynamics. The original solution gives a positive value for the amount of heat exchanged, while the textbook solution gives a negative value. It is determined that the textbook solution is incorrect and the original solution is correct.
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(b),
1680335521558.png

My solution is,
##\Delta E_{int} = Q - W = \frac{3}{2}(P_fV_f - P_iV_i)##
##Q = W + \frac{3}{2}(P_fV_f - P_iV_i)##
##Q = 4000 + \frac{3}{2}((1 \times 10^6)(6 \times 10^{-3}) - (3 \times 10^6)(2 \times 10^{-3})##
##Q = 4000 J##

However, according to the solution b. ##−4000 J##

Can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1680335515066.png
    1680335515066.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 47
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm uncertain what would in general be meant by the amount of heat "exchanged" by a system. It could mean the amount gained, the amount lost, or the magnitude of the transfer (so positive). Looks like they intended the amount lost.

Likes member 731016
Your answer is correct.

Likes member 731016
haruspex said:
I'm uncertain what would in general be meant by the amount of heat "exchanged" by a system. It could mean the amount gained, the amount lost, or the magnitude of the transfer (so positive). Looks like they intended the amount lost.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

If they intended for the amount lost, why dose the first law in my answer give the wrong sign? If you don't know, please don't worry about it, this textbook dose have a lot of mistakes!

Many thanks!

Chestermiller said:
Your answer is correct.
Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller ! That is reassuring. Do you please know whether the reason I am correct is because the textbook solution is wrong?

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller ! That is reassuring. Do you please know whether the reason I am correct is because the textbook solution is wrong?
Obviously

Likes member 731016
Chestermiller said:
Obviously
Thank you for your help @Chestermiller !

Related to Heat exchanged in Expanding and cooling gas

What is the relationship between heat exchange and the expansion of a gas?

When a gas expands, it does work on its surroundings, which often results in a decrease in the gas's internal energy. If the expansion occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings (adiabatic process), the temperature of the gas will drop. However, if heat is added during the expansion, it can compensate for the energy lost to work, potentially keeping the temperature constant (isothermal process).

How does cooling a gas affect its pressure and volume?

Cooling a gas generally decreases its internal energy, leading to a reduction in pressure if the volume is kept constant (isovolumetric process). If the gas is allowed to contract while cooling, the volume will decrease. According to the ideal gas law (PV=nRT), a decrease in temperature (T) will result in a decrease in pressure (P) or volume (V) or both, depending on the constraints of the system.

What is an adiabatic process and how does it relate to expanding and cooling gases?

An adiabatic process is one in which no heat is exchanged between the system and its surroundings. For an expanding gas, this means that the gas does work on its surroundings without gaining heat, leading to a drop in its internal energy and temperature. Conversely, if a gas is compressed adiabatically, its temperature increases as work is done on the gas.

Can you explain the concept of isothermal expansion and its heat exchange characteristics?

Isothermal expansion occurs when a gas expands at a constant temperature. In this process, the heat added to the system exactly compensates for the work done by the gas on its surroundings. Since the temperature remains constant, the internal energy of the gas does not change, but the gas absorbs heat from its surroundings to maintain this constant temperature while expanding.

What is the significance of the first law of thermodynamics in the context of expanding and cooling gases?

The first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system, is crucial in understanding expanding and cooling gases. For an expanding gas, the work done by the gas results in a decrease in internal energy unless compensated by heat input. For a cooling gas, the decrease in internal energy can be due to heat loss or work done on the surroundings, or both. This law helps in quantifying the energy changes during these processes.

Back